Submitted by GianniVacca on Fri, 22/06/2012 – 09:35
OK… Where did Belintar come from?
Submitted by metcalph on Fri, 22/06/2012 – 22:39.
If you want a non-canonical answer, the thing is ask is why did Belintar appear at that time? What had anybody done to make him appear?
Was the Only Old One trying to break the Closing and the Ludoch sent him back a captive God Learner?
Did somebody perform the Lightbringer’s Quest to overthrow the Only Old One?
Was Belintar a Fonritan fleeing the collapse of the Yranian Empire?
Did the Ramalians perform a dread summoning to overthrow a potential threat?
Did the people of God Forgot in contriviving to break the Shadow Tribute transform it into a Ponzi scheme that when it crashed, created an agent of light?
Did the Black Arkati slip up on their HeroQuests?
Submitted by Jeff on Sat, 23/06/2012 – 02:00.
All great ideas worth pursuing in your campaigns!
But the canonical answer is: No one knows. Not the Lunars, not the Masters of Luck and Death, not Lhankor Mhy, not the zzaburi of God Forgot, not the Only Old One, not even the God-King’s closest companions – no one knows. And not for lack of trying. Belintar is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.
Editor-in-Chief, Moon Design Publications
Submitted by Daniel Adamov on Sat, 23/06/2012 – 19:24.
Wait, Lhankor Mhy doesn’t know?
Now that’s scary. Maybe he just isn’t telling anyone?
Submitted by Jeff on Fri, 22/06/2012 – 11:06.
Here’s the official and canonical answer (from the Guide):
Nobody knows who Belintar was or where he came from, though there are many stories and theories. Some claim that he was the Golden Age ruler of Kethaela, from before the Vingkotlings and the Only Old One, returned to his land. Others claim that he was the destroyer of the Middle Sea Empire and came to protect the people of Kethaela. Still others claim he was a simple sea captain or even a sailor who magically survived the Closing.
When Belintar arrived, nobody knew what he was or initially believed his claims, but Belintar proved to all he was God-King of the Holy Country. He accomplished this by demonstrating to the many peoples of Kethaela, the lawfulness and virtues of his rule and they helped him destroy the Only Old One. This process involved revelations by and about Belintar, remarkable appearances, magical contests, violence, war, and the occasional surprises that were not what anyone expected.
Editor-in-Chief, Moon Design Publications
Submitted by Charles on Fri, 22/06/2012 – 09:52.
he swam in from the sea… 🙂
Submitted by Herve on Sat, 23/06/2012 – 13:14.
I have talked to many people of the Holy Country, and pored over the Book of Belintar, which He personally wrote parts of, while his followers wrote others, mostly exegesis of His own words. None of them knows where Belintar, who in earlier times was called Pharaoh, come from.
One thing is known : he was/is a Living God. This is a paradox : Gods cannot exist in Time. They are on the Other Side. Yet this happened before, with Nysalor and the Red Goddess – whatever her name is this week. Many people worshipped Belintar; scholars founded schools of wizardry based on grimoires written from His teachings.
Belintar united the Six and made something Greater of them, creating the Holy Country. He killed the Only Old One to make this, and destroyed the house of Heortland as well. He bankrupted the talari of Casino Town by winning all bets he made there. He danced atop the crater of the Vent Volcano and bathed in its lava. He had Martaller the Mostali toil for him and build him wonders of technology, particularly the City of Dreams.
It is pointless to try to understand where Belintar came from : we are too small to understand. It is much pertinent to study His many deeds and exploits, and try to understand His wisdom. And yet, He is so many faces one can only understand parts of it. I myself devoted to the study of his Elemental Progression Philosophy, following the steps of his student Hephonestes.
- A Question About Arkati Henotheism and Arkat’s Runes (2013)
- Additional Examples of Charms, Spells, and Natural Magic/Talents
- Arkat and Grachamagacan
- Artwork for end of Starbrows Rebellion
- Boats in Pavis
- Can the Devil be worshipped like any other God? (2012)
- Chalana Arroy and myths concerning her
- Circumventing Lunar Cyclism
- Confusion on women in the Cult of Yelmalio
- Conversion rules from previous Runequests to Runequest 6: a possibility?
- Crimson Bat’s Glowspot
- Cult Colours
- Do Mostali heroquest? (2012)
- Doom Guardians
- Duck Bounty
- Eleven big giant mountains and stuff….
- Employment in Pavis
- Feast of Beasts – day of week?
- Female Slorifings
- Foundchild a few questions
- Fourth Figure in the Middle Air on the Guide to Glorantha cover
- Frekor Firmfarer
- Gen Con 2013?
- Generic term for elves, dwarfs, trolls, etc.
- Getting new runes
- Guide to Glorantha-any updates?
- Guidelines for creating spells for RQ6
- Has the product production list evolved?
- I want to see the Godswall at leisure
- Lake Felster
- Larnste’s Footprint
- Lhankor Mhy Runes
- Lodril Writeup?
- Lunar Grimoires
- Lunar Imperial Clans – the Sixth Wane
- Magnetism, and magnetic north (2013)
- Male Chalana Arroy?
- Malkioni views on marriage, miscegenation, and adultery
- Man Rune
- MiG III
- No Dragonewts in Pamaltela
- Orlanthi Worship in the Lunar Empire
- Phases of the moon / EWF
- Plans to run kickstarters for future books?
- Plant Brothers
- Pool of serenity (2012)
- Population of Darjinn
- Ragnaglar, some questions (2012)
- Red Moon again– Distance
- Rune colors
- Rune Fonts (2012)
- Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes Adulthood Initiations
- So how do we play Illumination ?
- Soldiers of the Red Moon / Rune Metal Jacket
- Storm Bull Temples
- summer night length
- Tell me about the Ratuki
- The Assiday in Raibanth
- The Closing
- The Geos Rune (2012)
- The Great Boat Quest
- The Independent tribes of Prax
- The Lismelder Clan Transcript
- The Marriage of Pavis … to Ernalda?
- The Order of Bountiful Arcana (2013)
- The Order of Undeniable Righteousness
- Time Reckoning in Glorantha
- Urox Question
- Vinga devotee feats
- What ever happened to the Puma People?
- What is the Red Moon Phase in Pavis on a given day?
- What is Yelmalio?
- Which runes are associated with Heler?
- Who is the Lord of the World’s Knowledge?
- Who were the mysterious ‘gold people’ who accompanied Lord Pavis?
- Yelm in HQ2 (2013)