Submitted by cj.23 on Mon, 16/04/2012 – 12:54
In older supplements Geo’s cult branded members on the thumb with a small rune, specific to the Sanchali Tribe. I found this in the cult write up in Moon Designs Cults Compendium. Assuming it is still canon, one assumes this very minor rune can still be used in someway, to augment or at 1W even to produce some small active magical effects. So what are the mythic associations of the rune? I don’t know a great deal about the biography of Geo beyond he was a companion of Sartar.
I thought it might be appropriate to Hospitality, Repel Lunars, Aid Royal House of Sartar, Avert Violence and similar effects, but while two of my player characters have now joined the cult, I’m just working from story instinct. Any advice on this?
Submitted by blerg2 on Sun, 22/04/2012 – 03:06.
As to Geo’s history, he was Food Man on Sartar’s Ring during the Founding.
As to the meaning of his rune, your set seems reasonable except that having four different mythic associations for one minor rune seems overloaded. I think that the entirety could well be subsumed under Hospitality (Sartar Style). Avert Violence obviously can be subsumed under Hospitality, of course, since the violence is only averted within the Inn (aka, temple to Geo), not outside it. Since the Hospitality would be the Orlanthi view, rather than the Lunar or even the Dara Happan view, that would tend to repel the Lunars, even the Lunarized Tarshites (Orlanthi without Orlanth) that make up the majority of the “military assistance command” / occupation troops. Also, the first Geo’s Inns were started before the Lunar/Tarshite occupation, so there would be no reason, other than general Heortling hostility towards DH and its ilk, for the cult to already want to repel Lunars, as opposed to any invaders. Also, the Lunars never banned or closed the Inns as actual enemies against the Empire, implying that the Repel Lunars and Aid Sartar Royal House were *not* a major focus of the cult.
Submitted by Daniel Adamov on Sun, 29/04/2012 – 03:36.
…Food Man? Rather than Flesh Man?
I wonder if keeping Lunars away isn’t also a consequence of the sanctity of the inn. It would be harder to keep some Heortlings from wanting to attack Lunars – or Lunar sympathisers – there. Safer to just not let any of them in.
Submitted by blerg2 on Tue, 01/05/2012 – 23:25.
Food Man was (IIRC, not having my KoS in front of me) a member of the Umath style ring, rather than the Lightbringer’s Ring. Unless one is doing a LBQ, which Ring style a chieftain uses is pretty much a matter of his discretion (assuming that he can get through the politics). Sartar would have been more likely than most to use a non-Orlanth ring style as he was an Issaries type of leader (frex, violence was never an option, with him).
Archived Glorantha Q&A from Moondesign.com
- A Question About Arkati Henotheism and Arkat’s Runes (2013)
- Additional Examples of Charms, Spells, and Natural Magic/Talents
- Arkat and Grachamagacan (2012)
- Artwork for end of Starbrows Rebellion
- Boats in Pavis
- Can the Devil be worshipped like any other God? (2012)
- Chalana Arroy and myths concerning her
- Circumventing Lunar Cyclism
- Comparable Manirian technology/historical level (2012)
- Confusion on women in the Cult of Yelmalio (2012)
- Conversion rules from previous Runequests to Runequest 6: a possibility?
- Crimson Bat’s Glowspot
- Cult Colours
- Do Mostali heroquest? (2012)
- Doom Guardians
- Duck Bounty
- Eleven big giant mountains and stuff…. (2012)
- Employment in Pavis
- Feast of Beasts – day of week?
- Female Slorifings (2012)
- Foundchild a few questions (2013)
- Fourth Figure in the Middle Air on the Guide to Glorantha cover
- Frekor Firmfarer
- Gen Con 2013?
- Generic term for elves, dwarfs, trolls, etc.
- Getting new runes
- Guide to Glorantha-any updates?
- Guidelines for creating spells for RQ6 (2013)
- Has the product production list evolved?
- I want to see the Godswall at leisure
- Larnste’s Footprint
- Lhankor Mhy Runes (2012)
- Lodril Writeup? (2012)
- Lunar Grimoires (2012)
- Lunar Imperial Clans – the Sixth Wane
- Magnetism, and magnetic north (2013)
- Male Chalana Arroy?
- Malkioni views on marriage, miscegenation, and adultery
- Man Rune
- MiG III (2012)
- Monks (2013)
- No Dragonewts in Pamaltela
- Orlanthi Worship in the Lunar Empire
- Phases of the moon / EWF
- Plans to run kickstarters for future books?
- Plant Brothers (2012)
- Pool of serenity (2012)
- Population of Darjinn
- Ragnaglar, some questions (2012)
- Red Moon again- Distance (2012)
- Rune colors
- Rune Fonts (2012)
- Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes Adulthood Initiations
- Seseine? (2012)
- So how do we play Illumination ?
- Soldiers of the Red Moon / Rune Metal Jacket
- Storm Bull Temples (2012)
- summer night length
- Tell me about the Ratuki
- The Assiday in Raibanth
- The Closing
- The Great Boat Quest
- The Independent tribes of Prax
- The Lismelder Clan Transcript
- The Marriage of Pavis … to Ernalda?
- The Order of Bountiful Arcana (2013)
- The Order of Undeniable Righteousness
- Time Reckoning in Glorantha
- Urox Question
- Vinga devotee feats
- What ever happened to the Puma People?
- What is the Red Moon Phase in Pavis on a given day?
- What is Yelmalio?
- Where did Belintar come from? (2012)
- Which runes are associated with Heler?
- Who is the Lord of the World’s Knowledge?
- Who were the mysterious ‘gold people’ who accompanied Lord Pavis?
- Yelm in HQ2 (2013)
Page Last updated: 2023-07-12 08:56:24