Submitted by DSPaul on Sun, 21/07/2013 – 22:17
So, I’m thinking about starting a intrigue-heavy Dara Happan campaign in HeroQuest 2nd ed., but I’ve run into a few problems with regards to Dara Happpan religion. Namely, I can’t seem to figure out how the cult(s) of Yelm and associated deities are supposed to work. I’ve run into references to:
1. “Direct worship” of Yelm, for which only a few very high nobles are eligible
2. Aspects of Yelm — Youth, Warrior, Priest and Noble
3. Portions of Yelm, especially Antirius and Envirinus
4. Emperor cults, like Murharzarm and Urvainirus.
It doesn’t help that the different sources I’ve found seem to contradict each other a great deal. So, I’m asking you folks: Which of the above are part of the “core” cult of Yelm, which are subcults, and which are seperate cults? Who is eligible to worship and/or initiate into each? And which are commonly worshipped at the end of the Third Age, as opposed to being purely mythic figures or obscure minor cults?
(If you’ve got time, I’m also wondering how to treat the various war gods; eg. Hastatus and Sagittus. Are they subcults of Yelm, of Polaris, or something else? And just who is the Young God, anyway?)
Submitted by Tim Ellis on Mon, 22/07/2013 – 10:21.
My understanding, such as it is, is that Initiation is much less common in Dara Happa than amongst the Orlanthi, with most people being “lay members” or “pantheon worshippers” or equivalent. Of course what applies to “most people” and what applies to “Player Characters” may not bear much relationship…
I’m tempted to think that “portions of Yelm” and “aspects of Yelm” are the same thing, in the same way that “Orlanth Adventurous” is the same thing as “Orlanth Destor”, with Dara Happans eligible to worship those that match their status/position. (a Yelm the Youth is a member of a yelmic noble family who is not serving as a warrior or priest and is not the head of a household).
Warrior Gods are, I think separate deities who acknowledge Yelm as the Emperor (as are the City gods, like Raiba (Raibanth), Shargash (Alkoth), Busserian (Yuthuppa) etc).
- A Question About Arkati Henotheism and Arkat’s Runes (2013)
- Additional Examples of Charms, Spells, and Natural Magic/Talents
- Arkat and Grachamagacan
- Artwork for end of Starbrows Rebellion
- Boats in Pavis
- Can the Devil be worshipped like any other God? (2012)
- Chalana Arroy and myths concerning her
- Circumventing Lunar Cyclism
- Confusion on women in the Cult of Yelmalio
- Conversion rules from previous Runequests to Runequest 6: a possibility?
- Crimson Bat’s Glowspot
- Cult Colours
- Do Mostali heroquest? (2012)
- Doom Guardians
- Duck Bounty
- Eleven big giant mountains and stuff….
- Employment in Pavis
- Feast of Beasts – day of week?
- Female Slorifings
- Foundchild a few questions
- Fourth Figure in the Middle Air on the Guide to Glorantha cover
- Frekor Firmfarer
- Gen Con 2013?
- Generic term for elves, dwarfs, trolls, etc.
- Getting new runes
- Guide to Glorantha-any updates?
- Guidelines for creating spells for RQ6 (2013)
- Has the product production list evolved?
- I want to see the Godswall at leisure
- Lake Felster
- Larnste’s Footprint
- Lhankor Mhy Runes
- Lodril Writeup?
- Lunar Grimoires (2012)
- Lunar Imperial Clans – the Sixth Wane
- Magnetism, and magnetic north (2013)
- Male Chalana Arroy?
- Malkioni views on marriage, miscegenation, and adultery
- Man Rune
- MiG III (2012)
- No Dragonewts in Pamaltela
- Orlanthi Worship in the Lunar Empire
- Phases of the moon / EWF
- Plans to run kickstarters for future books?
- Plant Brothers
- Pool of serenity (2012)
- Population of Darjinn
- Ragnaglar, some questions (2012)
- Red Moon again– Distance
- Rune colors
- Rune Fonts (2012)
- Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes Adulthood Initiations
- Seseine? (2012)
- So how do we play Illumination ?
- Soldiers of the Red Moon / Rune Metal Jacket
- Storm Bull Temples (2012)
- summer night length
- Tell me about the Ratuki
- The Assiday in Raibanth
- The Closing
- The Geos Rune (2012)
- The Great Boat Quest
- The Independent tribes of Prax
- The Lismelder Clan Transcript
- The Marriage of Pavis … to Ernalda?
- The Order of Bountiful Arcana (2013)
- The Order of Undeniable Righteousness
- Time Reckoning in Glorantha
- Urox Question
- Vinga devotee feats
- What ever happened to the Puma People?
- What is the Red Moon Phase in Pavis on a given day?
- What is Yelmalio?
- Where did Belintar come from? (2012)
- Which runes are associated with Heler?
- Who is the Lord of the World’s Knowledge?
- Who were the mysterious ‘gold people’ who accompanied Lord Pavis?