Submitted by Iskallor on Tue, 02/10/2012 – 12:54
When did the 11 giants become mountains?
And what would I expect to find there if visiting in the Green Age?
What did Glorantha look like during the Green Age?
Thanks as always.
Submitted by Jeff on Thu, 04/10/2012 – 02:29.
The Eleven Big Giant Mountains ARE mountains. They rebelled against the gods in the Godtime and became stone. As to when that happened, the stories vary. Some say this rebellion was in the Golden Age (or even began the Golden Age), other stories say it was in the Storm Age. Still others suggest this rebellion may have happened more than once.
As for the Green Age, it the undifferentiated bliss before awareness of the self and others. Once there are Others, the age is over.
Editor-in-Chief, Moon Design Publications
Some partial answers
Submitted by Charles on Tue, 02/10/2012 – 22:30.
My understanding follows:
I suspect that many people (both in Glorantha and in the RW) feel that because something is called a giant then it is related to all other things that are called giants. This is not the case, giant is just another word for big or huge or vast. [edit: perhaps this is too strong, noting Jeff’s answer in Giants. However, I just re-read King of Sartar and recall a passage where the author wrote of a battle where all 3 types of giants were involved.]
These mountains are the giants and those specific type of giants are the mountains. Most of these mountains choose to be immobile, perhaps in contemplation. However, they can move and some will during the Hero Wars. Gonn Ort is the exception that is currently still mobile.
The Green Age is a great creative time where the inhabitants do not have the consciousness to differentiate themselves from each other. The most obvious element is Earth, the active powers are Grower and Maker and plants cover almost everything, including snow and fire.
Apart from a very few carefully circumscribed rituals, it is dangerous to visit the Green Age. A HeroQuester that visits the Green Time will notice some differentiation and the act of noticing brings the Green Age to an end. This likely entangles the HeroQuester and their backing community in the emnities that arise from the end of the Green Age.
It is rumoured that some (religious?) communities have powers or rituals to safely visit the Green Time.
Archived Glorantha Q&A from Moondesign.com
- A Question About Arkati Henotheism and Arkat’s Runes (2013)
- Additional Examples of Charms, Spells, and Natural Magic/Talents
- Arkat and Grachamagacan (2012)
- Artwork for end of Starbrows Rebellion
- Boats in Pavis
- Can the Devil be worshipped like any other God? (2012)
- Chalana Arroy and myths concerning her
- Circumventing Lunar Cyclism
- Confusion on women in the Cult of Yelmalio (2012)
- Conversion rules from previous Runequests to Runequest 6: a possibility?
- Crimson Bat’s Glowspot
- Cult Colours
- Do Mostali heroquest? (2012)
- Doom Guardians
- Duck Bounty
- Employment in Pavis
- Feast of Beasts – day of week?
- Female Slorifings
- Foundchild a few questions
- Fourth Figure in the Middle Air on the Guide to Glorantha cover
- Frekor Firmfarer
- Gen Con 2013?
- Generic term for elves, dwarfs, trolls, etc.
- Getting new runes
- Guide to Glorantha-any updates?
- Guidelines for creating spells for RQ6 (2013)
- Has the product production list evolved?
- I want to see the Godswall at leisure
- Lake Felster
- Larnste’s Footprint
- Lhankor Mhy Runes
- Lodril Writeup? (2012)
- Lunar Grimoires (2012)
- Lunar Imperial Clans – the Sixth Wane
- Magnetism, and magnetic north (2013)
- Male Chalana Arroy?
- Malkioni views on marriage, miscegenation, and adultery
- Man Rune
- MiG III (2012)
- No Dragonewts in Pamaltela
- Orlanthi Worship in the Lunar Empire
- Phases of the moon / EWF
- Plans to run kickstarters for future books?
- Plant Brothers (2012)
- Pool of serenity (2012)
- Population of Darjinn
- Ragnaglar, some questions (2012)
- Red Moon again– Distance
- Rune colors
- Rune Fonts (2012)
- Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes Adulthood Initiations
- Seseine? (2012)
- So how do we play Illumination ?
- Soldiers of the Red Moon / Rune Metal Jacket
- Storm Bull Temples (2012)
- summer night length
- Tell me about the Ratuki
- The Assiday in Raibanth
- The Closing
- The Geos Rune (2012)
- The Great Boat Quest
- The Independent tribes of Prax
- The Lismelder Clan Transcript
- The Marriage of Pavis … to Ernalda?
- The Order of Bountiful Arcana (2013)
- The Order of Undeniable Righteousness
- Time Reckoning in Glorantha
- Urox Question
- Vinga devotee feats
- What ever happened to the Puma People?
- What is the Red Moon Phase in Pavis on a given day?
- What is Yelmalio?
- Where did Belintar come from? (2012)
- Which runes are associated with Heler?
- Who is the Lord of the World’s Knowledge?
- Who were the mysterious ‘gold people’ who accompanied Lord Pavis?
- Yelm in HQ2 (2013)