Submitted by WoeRie on Sat, 01/06/2013 – 08:25
I’m a bit confused with Yelmalio and Elmal. If I look in the Sartar book (and Heortling Mythology) it points out that some Sartar clans worship Elmal, but reading in Wyrms Footnotes (which is the latest source) it shows all Elmal sources as Yelmalio. Though I assume that both gods are more or less the same, this still looks strange for me. So, which source is right from an Orlanthi point of view? Thanks in advance..
Submitted by Charles on Sat, 01/06/2013 – 09:23.
Start with The Birth of Elmal (or, Why I screwed up your Glorantha).
Yelmalio is originally a Pelorian god. He is variously said to be Lightfore, the planet that traverses the sky when Yelm is traversing the underworld at night; or the light of the sun, without the fire. Both can be true at the same time. And there is much more to Yelmalio than even most Yelmalio worshippers know.
Elmal is the Orlanthi god of the sun and horses, who left the Fire Tribe to join the much greater and more honorable Storm Tribe.
As the Dara Happans and Orlanthi interacted in South Peloria and Saird, many Elmal worshippers found that there were more attactive aspects of worshipping Yelmalio, not least the giving up of the idea that they were worshipping a second class god, the “Loyal Thane”.
This change in belief spread to Sartar and there was a mass conversion of many but not all Elmal worshippers to Yelmalio.
But back to the differences and similarities between Yelmalio and Elmal. They are different. They are the same. Both are true. There will be many Elmal worshippers and Yelmalio worshippers quite willing to fight to the death to maintain their belief that they are different. There may be some Yelmalio worshippers (and may be, possibly, some Elmal worshippers) quite willing to admit that they are the same god, with different worshippers and different forms of worship.
The key message. If you look for a single core truth about gods and/or cultures in Glorantha, you will often come to erroneous conclusions.
Submitted by WoeRie on Sat, 01/06/2013 – 12:52.
Many thanks for the detailed explanation (and for the link). I think I understood the similarieties and differences of these two gods, now… and how they are viewed by the different cultures.
on the subject of “truth”
Submitted by Charles on Sat, 01/06/2013 – 11:10.
It is worth looking at the page where Greg answers questions about Illusion. Towards the end of the page he notes:
Orenoar is Truth. As all the myths tell, she is no longer of this world. In other words, we can not know absolute truth, only subjective truth.
Orenoar was the original Truth Rune or its creator or both.
Submitted by Adept on Mon, 03/06/2013 – 18:28.
I feel rather occluded having read Greg’s text about the nature of [[Illusion]]. Food for thought, certainly, but I feel a magician with the illusion rune doesn’t actually have access to such all-powerful powers. All of magic can ultimately be illusion, but the specific effects of a magicians connection to the illusion rune probably are much more limited.Greg replies to the question of an illusionist having created a death sword, and it then actually being (temporarily) as much a death sword as that created by a Humakti. This is all well and good, but I would probably say that most illusion rune magicians can’t actually do that. Illusion rune isn’t the omni rune that enables you to duplicate the powers of any other rune.
- A journey to Spirit World (please my players keep out)
- A Song for the Horse Nation
- Adulthood Initiations (2012)
- Adventures for Fonrit
- Are All Orlanthi Initiated in a Cult
- Balazar HQ2 Keywords And Magic
- Blue Moon Plateau, Lesilla and Mernita
- Chaos Gods – forms of worship
- Competition: Tell me about your Humakti
- Contributions for Hearts in Glorantha issue 6 sought!
- Dark Eater = Zorak Zoran? (2013)
- Dealing with the Halfbird
- Death of Gods
- Discuss: Kickstart the Guide to Glorantha
- Dragon Pass Game Questions
- Evil in the Golden Age ?
- Glorantha Classics
- Glorantha for Beginners
- Gloranthan and Heroquest Events at Continuum 2012
- Gloranthan Miniatures
- Going to hell (not to be read by my Stonesnake players)
- GTA Material Website
- Guide to Glorantha System Bound?
- Has future product planning been influenced by The Guide to Glorantha
- Hearts Glorantha Issue 5 Now Out
- Hearts in Glorantha interviews Jeff Richard about The Guide to Glorantha
- Hearts in Glorantha sources?
- Heracles by another name – what?
- Heroquesting Questions (2012)
- How to make a meeting with waertagi memorable ?
- Humakti: Geas Must Kill
- Is the dragon pass book still available ?
- Kerofinela: Gazeteer of Dragon Pass Map
- King of Dragon Pass vs Tabletop: How much applies?
- Living Without Maps
- Look of Glorantha
- Love the new pictures on top of webpage
- Lunar Tricksters?
- Magic for Slaves in Fonrit
- Malkioni Culture
- Malkioni Heroquesting
- Metaplot in Glorantha
- Monasticism in Glorantha
- Mongoose Aldryami book
- New Podcast
- New to Glorantha
- New to Glorantha Redux
- Orlanth Cult in Sartar
- Orlanthi Skin Colour
- Pavis Bibliocinematography
- Pronunciation (2013)
- Protecting Old Pavis
- Purifying Telmori – Take Two
- Questions from a Michigan noob
- Review of “Pavis – Gateway to Adventure”
- RPG.NET has a poll on Glorantha vs. Harn
- Rune Magic Overlapping with Feats
- Sartar Character Sheet Pdfs?
- Shargash Rune
- Spirit Magic vs. RQ Animism
- Strange Malkioni Women’s Hand Shapes
- Summons of Evil
- Tell Us More About the New Sartar Gorgeous Cover (2012)
- The Entekosiad: an introduction
- The Eye of the Halfbird and the Lead Grimoire (2013)
- The Look of Second Age Westerners
- The Moon And Chaos Runes
- The Pavis Cult & the Man Rune
- Thunder Rebels Religion
- Till Death Do Us Part Or Eternal Love?
- Tricksters as Characters
- Updated King of Sartar
- Vadeli Treasure And Its Consequences Players
- What is the Three Bean Circus?
- Which One is Right