Questions from the HeroQuest mailing list, answered by Greg Stafford. Published 15th Aug 2008
Q: …Moon Names
A: Sedenya is a generic name that can be applied to all or any of the phases of the Lunar goddess. The Solars tend to use it often because they don’t really care which moon phase they are talking about.
Q: I was thinking that Solars didn’t recognize the…
A: First of all, it is incorrect to say “the Solars” as an all inclusive term in such discussion as this. We need to take the time, place and people into account in such discussion. So if possible, we need to specify who and when, such as using a written source as the source of specific information.
Q: …different incarnations of the Lunar’s Goddess and that they considered that Blue Moon, Red Moon and White Moon were different goddess: Annilla/Vendara daughter of Entekos, the red one the False Sun, and the white one, a daughter of Yelm who disapear.
A: Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Certainly in the current modern time many solar worshippers consider them to have been the same goddess.But the matter of same/different is complex. For instance, there are (and always have been) some solar worshippers who consider Murharzarm to be the same being as Yelm. To others, that is almost heresy. Same for Yelmgatha, for instance. is he the same or different from Yelm? Think of Krishna and Vishnu. Are they the same being or different ones? Or Jesus and Yahweh, same or different? So you can see the difficulties of being dogmatic in this. And frankly, in a mythological mind set, I can easily consider Yelmgatha to be BOTH the same as Yelm, AND a different being.
Q: I was thinking that Sedenya was the ancient Solar name of the first red moon and that Lunar used it later for all the phase of Rufelza.
A: Some people probably did just this.
Q: That’s why I was asking about the colour of the planet which crashed on Mernita in SOLAR mythology: was it red or blue. And if blue, was it Vendara or another goddess?
A: Blue, and it was generaly considered to be Lesilla. But for some, Vendara. I will have to look in my sources to see exactly who Vendara was. If she is the goddess under the plateau, the mother of the “bat trolls,” then most people today consider her to have been a part of Lesilla, or a daughter of hers.
Q: (In GRoY, it’s said that Sedenya crashed on Mernita.)
A: Yes, but that is using the generic name.
A: Again, Sedenya could have been red, blue, white or even (sometimes) black.
Q: But for only Lunars. Not for Solars, isn’t it?
A: For many modern solars, this is true. For others who are arch-conservative, it is false. But the truth of them being one entity is pretty hard to avoid today. Many consider this changing of colors to be no more significant than as if she changed her clothes.
- Accessing Eternity (2006)
- Belintar’s Book: Aldrya’s Own Story (1998)
- Clarifying the Primal Worlds (2003)
- Embodied & Disembodied Spirits Q&A (2004)
- Greg Sez Guest: Does the Emperor party or not? (Jan 1999)
- Greg Sez Guest: Dragon Slayers and Dragons of Saird (Feb 1999)
- Greg Sez Guest: EAST ISLES: United or not? (Jan 1999)
- Greg Sez Guest: The Mighty Janube (Nov 1998)
- Greg Sez Guests: Five Troll Questions (Sep 1999)
- Greg Sez: Barbarians – Heortlings, Vingkotlings, and Orlanthi (Jan 1998)
- Greg Sez: Between the Devil and the Dawn Age (Aug 1998)
- Greg Sez: Chaos Taints Q&A (2007)
- Greg Sez: Divinity and Gender (2009)
- Greg Sez: Ducks and Eggs (Dec 1997)
- Greg Sez: Enemy Gods (2009)
- Greg Sez: Ernaldan Initiation Rites
- Greg Sez: Esrolian Q&A (2001)
- Greg Sez: Heroes & Immortals (2005)
- Greg Sez: How Big Is My God? (Oct 1998)
- Greg Sez: How Does the Red Emperor Rule? (Feb 1999)
- Greg Sez: How Many Humakti?
- Greg Sez: Humakt Illuminated? (Apr 1998)
- Greg Sez: Illusion (2002)
- Greg Sez: Information about Elves (Jan 2000)
- Greg Sez: Malkioni Literacy (May 1999)
- Greg Sez: Metals In Prax (Feb 1998)
- Greg Sez: Mistress Race Trolls
- Greg Sez: Orlanthi Groups Q&A (2008)
- Greg Sez: Orlanthi Initiation Rites
- Greg Sez: Rathori Creation Myth
- Greg Sez: Second Age Peloria and Carmania (2007)
- Greg Sez: Sheng Seleris in Hell (May 1998)
- Greg Sez: Tada’s High Tumulus (Feb 2000)
- Greg Sez: The Kingdom of War (Jul 1998)
- Greg Sez: The Mother of Monsters (Aug 2009)
- Greg Sez: The Nature of Harmony and Fertility (Jun 1999)
- Greg Sez: The Red Emperor (Sep 1998)
- Greg Sez: The Sky World (Aug 2009)
- Greg Sez: The Southpath Gods (Jul 1999)
- Greg Sez: What is it with the Underworld? (Apr 2007)
- Greg Sez: Who Are the Blue Peoples? (Mar 1998)
- Greg Sez: Who are the Dog Fathers? (May 1999)
- Greg Sez: Who was Baroshi? (Jun 1998)
- Greg Sez: Why do the Giants use the River of Cradles (May 1999)
- Greg Sez: Yelmalio (Mar 2000)
- Hero Wars: Beyond Humanity (2000)
- Hero Wars: Wyters Q&A (2002)
- HeroQuest 1: Heroes and Immortals Q&A (2005)
- HeroQuest 1: Heroquesting (2003)
- HeroQuest 1: Landscape Bands Q&A (2004)
- HeroQuest 1: Types of Heroquests (2006)
- Library of Londarios: Ancestors of the Lenshi Kings (1998)
- Library of Londarios: Clarifying the Primal Worlds (Feb 2003)
- Library of Londarios: Danmalastan (1999)
- Library of Londarios: Deneskerva the Great Sister
- Library of Londarios: Postcards From Glorantha (Mar 2004)
- Library of Londarios: Stellar FAQ (Dec 1999)
- Library of Londarios: The Abiding Book (1999)
- Library of Londarios: The Birth of Elmal (1993)
- Library of Londarios: The Kings of Seshnela, Part One (1999)
- Library of Londarios: The Kings of Seshnela, Part Three (1999)
- Library of Londarios: The Kings of Seshnela, Part Two (1999)
- Library of Londarios: What the Mystic Taught Me (1998)
- Lives of Sedenya (2006)
- Myth of the Month: Aedin’s Wall (2000)
- Myth of the Month: Chariots and Chariot Gods (2003)
- Myth of the Month: Clouds (2000)
- Myth of the Month: Enemy Gods of the Orlanthi
- Myth of the Month: History of the Race of Trolls (1998)
- Myth of the Month: How Orlanth Met Ernalda (1998)
- Myth of the Month: How the Islands Came Apart (1998)
- Myth of the Month: How Vith Pacified the Anti-Gods
- Myth of the Month: Malkioni Otherworld (2001)
- Myth of the Month: Morden Defends the Camp (1999)
- Myth of the Month: Orlanth makes a Ring (1998)
- Myth of the Month: Shang-Hsa (1998)
- Myth of the Month: Shargash the Destroyer (1998)
- Myth of the Month: The Blue Dragon Sshorga (Dec 1999)
- Myth of the Month: The Orogeria Moon (1998)
- Myth of the Month: The Vithelan Creation of the World (1998)
- Safelster in the First Age
- Sites at the Dawn (2006)