Published 6th Sep 2002
Question(s) from Simon Phipp, answer(s) by Greg Stafford.
|Greg:||I just want to remind you that Illusions are REAL. An Illusion is a Temporary reality, not a false or unreal thing. They are not mind tricks, they are not hypnosis or hallucination. They are temporary reality.|
|Q:||Understood. I still think that if someone uses illusion powers to create the illusion of something, someone using Sense Runic Powers should be able to detect the fact that illusion powers are in play, but it depends on how good the two magicians are.The complication is when someone uses Illusion powers to create the illusion of a non-illusion based magical effect. Can someone use illusion powers to fool someone’s magical senses that can detect the source of a magical effect?|
|A:||This nearly gets to the core of why I discourage the use of “illusion” entirely. All magic is “illusion.” All magic is the creation of a temporary reality.|
|Q:||For example, I create the illusion of a Death Sword, imbued with the magical powers of Severence and Endings. Joe Bloggs walks in, sees the sword and uses his ‘Sense Death Magic’ feat. What happens?|
|A:||For example, I create a temporary Death Sword, imbued with the powers of Severance and Endings. Joe Bloggs walks in, sees the sword and uses his “Sense Death Magic” feat. He sees, with his magical senses, Death Magic.|
|Q:||Maybe it is possible to ‘spoof’ a magical sense with a sufficiently sophisticated illusion? I don’t see why not.|
|A:||What spoof? It is Death magic.|
ALL MAGIC IS “ILLUSION.”
Let’s look at the Hindu “illusion” here. In most texts you find that the god Maya, who made the world, is translated as “illusion.” This is a bad translation. It is better to translate it as “magic.” The whole world is made of magic. Some of it is of longer duration. Your life is a life of magic.
ALL EXISTENCE IS AN ILLUSION.
A Trickster who creates a temporary fire makes a fire. If you are able to discern the elemental (runic) association of it, you will detect Fire. A Humakti who creates a Death Sword makes a Death Sword. If you are able to discern the elemental association of it, you will detect Death. A Trickster who creates a Death Sword makes a Death Sword. If you are able to discern the elemental association of it, you will detect Death.
NOW, I know that Illusion is one of the Runes. Its opposite is Truth. I wrote that a LONG time ago, before even I understood the real meaning of Illusion. But because it is imbedded so deeply in Gloranthan reality, I would not dare to eliminate it now. I can only reinterpret it in light of my new understanding (which I am trying to convey here.)
This enters into the very difficult question of “what is Truth in Glorantha?” As we all know, Truth is subjective. (Who is the true Sun God? What is the true Magic? What is the true origin of the universe? Etc. ad infinitum.) A nonsubjective Truth exists, in theory. This would have to be an Absolute Truth, which is a mystical concept, and as such is (be definition) beyond the ken of mere mortals (who are, by definition, finite.)
Orenoar is Truth. The basic myth sets her opposite Larnste, Change. As all the myths tell, she is no longer of this world. In other words, we can not know absolute truth, only subjective truth.
Tylenea, Illusion, is also gone from this world. This indicates she too is unknowable.
In other words, we can not know absolute illusion, only subjective illusion.
My conclusion here is that the entire question of whether a powerful magician could detect whether something is temporary or permanent is ENTIRELY based on the power of the magician.
A significant part of the entire Hero Wars is going to be whether or not people (both individuals and their societal backers) can convince others that their reality is more truthful than someone else’s. As the Hero wars progress the great and powerful beings will engage each other in Truth Contests, using the HeroQuest Challenge, to determine who is [more] right.
Imagine the time, which is going to come, when the entire world community of Yelmalio believers gives 100% support to their hero in a Quest Challenge to contest with the hero of Elmal, also backed by the entire Elmal world community. One will lose, and the entire world of that god will no longer be able to believe what they had before. The victor will then go on to contest whether their god is the True Sun God, pitted against Yelm and his worshippers.
Which will win? Well, whichever one is more powerful (in your game). In this manner huge portions of the world are essentially going to disappear.
In the same manner, but on a smaller scale, an Illusionist can pit his Death Sword reality against the Death Sword reality of a Humakti. Which one will prove to be right? Well, the most powerful one.
In that sense, “it is possible to ‘spoof’ a magical sense with a sufficiently sophisticated illusion.”
- Accessing Eternity (2006)
- Belintar’s Book: Aldrya’s Own Story (1998)
- Clarifying the Primal Worlds (2003)
- Embodied & Disembodied Spirits Q&A (2004)
- Greg Sez – Moon Names (2008)
- Greg Sez Guest: Does the Emperor party or not? (Jan 1999)
- Greg Sez Guest: Dragon Slayers and Dragons of Saird (Feb 1999)
- Greg Sez Guest: EAST ISLES: United or not? (Jan 1999)
- Greg Sez Guest: The Mighty Janube (Nov 1998)
- Greg Sez Guests: Five Troll Questions (Sep 1999)
- Greg Sez: Barbarians – Heortlings, Vingkotlings, and Orlanthi (Jan 1998)
- Greg Sez: Between the Devil and the Dawn Age (Aug 1998)
- Greg Sez: Chaos Taints Q&A (2007)
- Greg Sez: Divinity and Gender (2009)
- Greg Sez: Ducks and Eggs (Dec 1997)
- Greg Sez: Enemy Gods (2009)
- Greg Sez: Ernaldan Initiation Rites
- Greg Sez: Esrolian Q&A (2001)
- Greg Sez: Heroes & Immortals (2005)
- Greg Sez: How Big Is My God? (Oct 1998)
- Greg Sez: How Does the Red Emperor Rule? (Feb 1999)
- Greg Sez: How Many Humakti?
- Greg Sez: Humakt Illuminated? (Apr 1998)
- Greg Sez: Information about Elves (Jan 2000)
- Greg Sez: Malkioni Literacy (May 1999)
- Greg Sez: Metals In Prax (Feb 1998)
- Greg Sez: Mistress Race Trolls
- Greg Sez: Orlanthi Groups Q&A (2008)
- Greg Sez: Orlanthi Initiation Rites
- Greg Sez: Rathori Creation Myth
- Greg Sez: Second Age Peloria and Carmania (2007)
- Greg Sez: Sheng Seleris in Hell (May 1998)
- Greg Sez: Tada’s High Tumulus (Feb 2000)
- Greg Sez: The Kingdom of War (Jul 1998)
- Greg Sez: The Mother of Monsters (Aug 2009)
- Greg Sez: The Nature of Harmony and Fertility (Jun 1999)
- Greg Sez: The Red Emperor (Sep 1998)
- Greg Sez: The Sky World (Aug 2009)
- Greg Sez: The Southpath Gods (Jul 1999)
- Greg Sez: What is it with the Underworld? (Apr 2007)
- Greg Sez: Who Are the Blue Peoples? (Mar 1998)
- Greg Sez: Who are the Dog Fathers? (May 1999)
- Greg Sez: Who was Baroshi? (Jun 1998)
- Greg Sez: Why do the Giants use the River of Cradles (May 1999)
- Greg Sez: Yelmalio (Mar 2000)
- Hero Wars: Beyond Humanity (2000)
- Hero Wars: Wyters Q&A (2002)
- HeroQuest 1: Heroes and Immortals Q&A (2005)
- HeroQuest 1: Heroquesting (2003)
- HeroQuest 1: Landscape Bands Q&A (2004)
- HeroQuest 1: Types of Heroquests (2006)
- Library of Londarios: Ancestors of the Lenshi Kings (1998)
- Library of Londarios: Clarifying the Primal Worlds (Feb 2003)
- Library of Londarios: Danmalastan (1999)
- Library of Londarios: Deneskerva the Great Sister
- Library of Londarios: Postcards From Glorantha (Mar 2004)
- Library of Londarios: Stellar FAQ (Dec 1999)
- Library of Londarios: The Abiding Book (1999)
- Library of Londarios: The Birth of Elmal (1993)
- Library of Londarios: The Kings of Seshnela, Part One (1999)
- Library of Londarios: The Kings of Seshnela, Part Three (1999)
- Library of Londarios: The Kings of Seshnela, Part Two (1999)
- Library of Londarios: What the Mystic Taught Me (1998)
- Lives of Sedenya (2006)
- Myth of the Month: Aedin’s Wall (2000)
- Myth of the Month: Chariots and Chariot Gods (2003)
- Myth of the Month: Clouds (2000)
- Myth of the Month: Enemy Gods of the Orlanthi
- Myth of the Month: History of the Race of Trolls (1998)
- Myth of the Month: How Orlanth Met Ernalda (1998)
- Myth of the Month: How the Islands Came Apart (1998)
- Myth of the Month: How Vith Pacified the Anti-Gods
- Myth of the Month: Malkioni Otherworld (2001)
- Myth of the Month: Morden Defends the Camp (1999)
- Myth of the Month: Orlanth makes a Ring (1998)
- Myth of the Month: Shang-Hsa (1998)
- Myth of the Month: Shargash the Destroyer (1998)
- Myth of the Month: The Blue Dragon Sshorga (Dec 1999)
- Myth of the Month: The Orogeria Moon (1998)
- Myth of the Month: The Vithelan Creation of the World (1998)
- Safelster in the First Age
- Sites at the Dawn (2006)