Forums | HeroQuest Rules Discussions
Submitted by pansophy on Thu, 30/05/2013 – 02:40
in my latest game some RL events took place and only two players could show up. Instead of cancelling the whole evening, we decided to advance the story without them, but soon ran into a problem when doing Contests: with only one or two players attending, the outcome of a Contest was very random and unsatisfying. Further, it was not very easy to describe the Contest in a good way and the first time the rules felt a bit “too light”.
To overcome this, we decided on a house rule: every “Group Simple Contest” should consist of 3 to 6 different actions, divided evenly between participating characters.
So, with one character entering a Contest that “could” be a Group Simple Contest (a fight, an escape, a chase, etc), the character would describe up to three different actions he wants to do. For each action both sides roll a dice and the outcome of all actions is looked up in the Group Simple Contest Results table.
This rule is not used for Simple Contests or Extended Contests.
The difference between this house rule and Extended Contests is, the character cannot use the same Attribute twice and must put in some thinking to string up some events to get the most amount of actions. This way the story comes more alive and the outcome of a Contest seems to be more bell-curved.
Also, if he player can only think of one action, it is a Simple Contest. And there is still plenty of room for that. 😉
Submitted by Charles on Fri, 31/05/2013 – 05:36.
HeroQuest is supposed to be used as a toolkit to tell stories. Whatever works to make your game feel more satisfying is right.
I also found it a bit of a stretch running a HeroQuest game for my boys. I suspect that the issue you brought up was a (small?) part of why it did not work out.
odd, i’ve run a number of
Submitted by boztakang on Sat, 01/06/2013 – 01:51.
odd, i’ve run a number of solo-player games, and never felt that the rules got in the way… some of my campaigns best stories have come out of single-player scenarios.
I do use mostly simple contests, so maybe it’s just that the extra randomization of results is already “built in” to our expectations…
States of Adversity
Submitted by pansophy on Sun, 14/07/2013 – 23:55.
The problem is that with only one character you soon end up with a lot of negative modifiers as even marginal failures give a -3 to an Attribute.
Might be my luck in dice rolling, but players end up pretty soon with so flawed characters, that further advancement of the story is not possible (at least for a while).
Maybe I should allow them more points to boost starting Abilities …
- [D101 Games] Empires Ending
- [D101 Games] Empires Rising available in PDF
- [D101 Games] HeroQuest supplements included in GMs Day sale (2013)
- 1 master equals 10 men (2012)
- Area effect spells/weapons
- Berserk Magic
- Character Editing Software
- Community abilities
- Compelling Conflicts
- Conversion Rules for RQIII to HQ – is there such a thing?
- Daka Fal Help (2012)
- Default resistance
- Doing things without skills
- Doubt about the naming contest in Red Moon Rising (Pavis gateway to adventure)(2012)
- Enhance skills
- Formal Scene Structure to Facilitate and Intrigue in Pavis Game: Feedback sought.
- Grimoires for the Lhankor Mhy? (2013)
- HeroQuest II FAQ
- HQ2 Fantasy Grounds II Ruleset
- Keyword and break-out abilities maximum rating
- Leveragable Items from RuneQuest 6 to HeroQuest 2
- Lingering Benefits / States of Adversities
- lots of Lingering Penalties
- Multiple Abilities in Extended Contests
- Multiple opponent penalty in group simple contests
- Need some help on framing contests
- New characters in an existing game?
- Non-Glorantha Settings
- Notes from running an Orlanthi Initiation scenario
- Perception in HQ2
- Pyhrric Victory (2012)
- Resistance for players
- RQ/HQ Confusion
- RQ6 Previews
- RuneQuest 6: Book of Quests Now Available for Pre-Order
- Sartar character examples
- Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes for Addl. Mechanics
- Sidekick rules
- Single-Source Superheroes–how best to leverage Heroquest for this genre
- Something Wicked; other Gateways? (2012)
- Spell Casting “Cost”
- Tips for Solitary GMing
- Using Heroquest for Horror
- What HeroQuest Gateway supplements would you like to see?
- Wyter Abilities from the Clan Questionnaire in The Colymar Campaign