Submitted by Herve on Thu, 03/05/2012 – 14:46
Not a question but an illustration about how to use the Pyhrric Victory rule, pp 82-83. A possessed character was pulling back a monster from the bottom of a cliff : if he made it, the whole Quest would be derailed. He was very powerful and shrugged off all attacks made by other PCs on him.
The last PC decided to throw himself down the cliff and on the monster, to make the whole thing heavier and make the possessed PC let go of the rope. It was a suicidal act which had great chances to succeed, but which would HURT a lot once reaching the cliff’s bottom. It was a perfect example of a pyhrric contest, done by a player who didn’t even know the rule existed !
Another memorable pyhrric victory
Submitted by Herve on Sun, 06/05/2012 – 12:23.
My own character, Silkinister the humakti, went along the Quest to give Hofstaring his hands back, in solar hells. Before the quest, Silkinister had announced he would issuee a heroquest challenge to ikadz, god of pain, once there. Getting to the plateau of suffering was hard, but we made it and Silk attacked ikadz to kill it. Once he realized it’d be tougher than he thought, he began singing Humakt’s Death Song (and I invoked the Pyhrric Victory rule). It brought my character to 3M4 vs ikadz’ 5M3, a very good chance of success. And it worked – ikadz got chopped up and Silkinster got +13 to his Death Rune score. Of course, he was also wounded and at -6 (total victory). And his relife sickness score jumped up as well…
- [D101 Games] Empires Ending
- [D101 Games] Empires Rising available in PDF
- [D101 Games] HeroQuest supplements included in GMs Day sale (2013)
- 1 master equals 10 men (2012)
- Area effect spells/weapons
- Berserk Magic
- Character Editing Software
- Community abilities
- Conversion Rules for RQIII to HQ – is there such a thing?
- Default resistance
- Doing things without skills
- Doubt about the naming contest in Red Moon Rising (Pavis gateway to adventure)(2012)
- Enhance skills
- Formal Scene Structure to Facilitate and Intrigue in Pavis Game: Feedback sought.
- Grimoires for the Lhankor Mhy? (2013)
- HeroQuest II FAQ
- HQ2 – Compelling Conflicts (2012)
- HQ2 – Daka Fal Help (2012)
- HQ2 – Need some help on framing contests
- HQ2 Fantasy Grounds II Ruleset
- Keyword and break-out abilities maximum rating
- Leveragable Items from RuneQuest 6 to HeroQuest 2
- Lingering Benefits / States of Adversities
- lots of Lingering Penalties
- Multiple Abilities in Extended Contests
- Multiple opponent penalty in group simple contests
- New characters in an existing game?
- Non-Glorantha Settings
- Notes from running an Orlanthi Initiation scenario
- Perception in HQ2
- Resistance for players
- RQ/HQ Confusion
- RQ6 Previews
- RuneQuest 6: Book of Quests Now Available for Pre-Order
- Sartar character examples
- Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes for Addl. Mechanics
- Sidekick rules
- Single-Source Superheroes–how best to leverage Heroquest for this genre
- Something Wicked; other Gateways? (2012)
- Spell Casting “Cost”
- Tips for Solitary GMing
- Too few players in a group
- Using Heroquest for Horror
- What HeroQuest Gateway supplements would you like to see?
- Wyter Abilities from the Clan Questionnaire in The Colymar Campaign