Submitted by Nohiro on Wed, 16/01/2013 – 17:28
Do Lhankor Mhy initiates have any special rules with regard to learning fragments of The Eternal Book?
From the HQ2.0 rules I assumed that each fragment would count as a separate grimoire to be raised separately. However in “Sartar, Kingdom of Heroes” – perhaps due to his wiliness – Heortal The Wild Sage doesn’t have a rating for his knowledge of the Torvald Fragments, it just appears under his Law Rune.
Is this what’s meant by “Lhankor Mhy initiates with the Law Rune Affinity can use that Rune magic to learn wizardry spells from the temple grimoire…”, or is it perhaps an oversight like his missing Wild Sage keyword?
Submitted by David on Thu, 17/01/2013 – 05:52.
The grimoire doesn’t get a rating, only the spells broken out beneath, and only if they have a bonus. Otherwise they are at the Law rune’s value in Heortal’s case.
Look at the examples in Pavis: Gateway to Adventure. Jorjar Latish on page 21 follows the same pattern, except he has no bonus on any of his spells.
Markor the Strong on page 19 is a more complex wizarding example. He has one grimoire keyed off his Stonemason occupation keyword. Yet again the grimoire has no value, and the broken out spells has no bonus and is at his Stonemason value. His second grimoire is part of his Initiate of Pavis (with no value) which is part of his Citizen of the Real City cultural keyword. The spells broken out underneath have no value and so are at his Citizen of the Real City value. Finally he has two independent Dwarf spells not attached to any grimoire, and so each one is treated individually with its own value.
So the basic structure for grimoire’s is:
Law Affinity (in LM’s case) (value)
Grimoire Name (no value)
broken out spell 1 (bonus if it has one)
broken out spell 2 (bonus if it has one)
You are correct that the value of his Wild Sage occupation is missing.
“Lhankor Mhy initiates with the Law Rune Affinity can use that Rune magic to learn wizardry spells from the temple grimoire…”
It mean’s that if your LM hero has the Law rune affinity he can learn wizardry and hang it off the Law rune (as above). Your hero can learn spells from the temple grimoire and with access to an Alien Combination Machine, other grimoires (dependent on what type of temple you are a member of eg Completists). Lhankor Mhy initiates without the Law rune affinity can only learn individual spells from the temple grimoire, they are not part of a grimoire.
Submitted by Nohiro on Fri, 18/01/2013 – 15:30.
The extra examples make it a lot clearer for me.
- [D101 Games] Empires Ending
- [D101 Games] Empires Rising available in PDF
- [D101 Games] HeroQuest supplements included in GMs Day sale (2013)
- 1 master equals 10 men (2012)
- Area effect spells/weapons
- Berserk Magic
- Character Editing Software
- Community abilities
- Conversion Rules for RQIII to HQ – is there such a thing?
- Default resistance
- Doing things without skills
- Doubt about the naming contest in Red Moon Rising (Pavis gateway to adventure)(2012)
- Enhance skills
- Formal Scene Structure to Facilitate and Intrigue in Pavis Game: Feedback sought.
- HeroQuest II FAQ
- HQ2 – Compelling Conflicts (2012)
- HQ2 – Daka Fal Help (2012)
- HQ2 – Need some help on framing contests
- HQ2 – Pyrrhic Victory (2012)
- HQ2 Fantasy Grounds II Ruleset
- Keyword and break-out abilities maximum rating
- Leveragable Items from RuneQuest 6 to HeroQuest 2
- Lingering Benefits / States of Adversities
- lots of Lingering Penalties
- Multiple Abilities in Extended Contests
- Multiple opponent penalty in group simple contests
- New characters in an existing game?
- Non-Glorantha Settings
- Notes from running an Orlanthi Initiation scenario
- Perception in HQ2
- Resistance for players
- RQ/HQ Confusion
- RQ6 Previews
- RuneQuest 6: Book of Quests Now Available for Pre-Order
- Sartar character examples
- Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes for Added Mechanics (2012)
- Sidekick rules
- Single-Source Superheroes–how best to leverage Heroquest for this genre
- Something Wicked; other Gateways? (2012)
- Spell Casting “Cost”
- Tips for Solitary GMing
- Too few players in a group
- Using Heroquest for Horror
- What HeroQuest Gateway supplements would you like to see?
- Wyter Abilities from the Clan Questionnaire in The Colymar Campaign