Table of Contents
White Dwarf #11 (Feb/Mar 1979)
- Open Box, RuneQuest review by Jim Donohoe (softback book).
White Dwarf #14 (Aug/Sept 1979)
- Open Box, Balastor’s Barracks review by Jim Donohoe
- Lair of the White Wyrm, a Runequest mini scenario by John Bethell
White Dwarf #17 (Feb/Mar 1980)
- Interview: Greg Stafford by Ian Livingstone. At last year’s GenCon convention, the Editor recorded this interview with Greg Stafford, creator of the world of Dragon Pass.
White Dwarf #19 (June/July 1980)
- Jorthan’s Rescue, a Runequest mini scenario by Steve Marsh & John Sapienza Jr. This adventure takes place somewhere in the hills off the trail between Boldhome and Pavis Rubble. The rich noble Jorthan was captured by trollkin, who demand a ransom of 5,000 lunars. His wife, Ilessa, has hired the party to rescue him.
White Dwarf #22 (Dec/Jan 1980)
- Open Box, Runequest The Gateway Bestiary review by Andy Slack
White Dwarf #23 (Feb/Mar 1981)
- Open Box, Cults of Prax review by O. C. MacDonald
White Dwarf #25 (June/July 1981)
- Open Box, Plunder & Runemasters review by Oliver Macdonald
White Dwarf #27 (1981)
- Open Box, Griffin Mountain review by Murray Writtle
White Dwarf #29 (1982)
- Lucky Eddi by Oliver Dickinson. Being a tale of mighty RuneQuest deeds in far off Pavis
White Dwarf #30 (1982)
- Griselda Gets her Man by Oliver Dickinson. Being a sequel to Lucky Eddi
- RuneRites column: Unarmed Combat in RuneQuest by E. Varley, edited by Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #31 (1982)
- RuneRites column: Crime and Punishment by Geoff Winn, edited by Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #32 (1982)
- RuneRites column: Griselda Statistics by Oliver Dickinson and The Cyclops by Jim Sizer
White Dwarf #33 (1982)
- Rumble at the Tin Inn, Bar-Room Brawl, RuneQuest style by Michael Cule
- RuneRites column: Invisibility and Magic edited by Oliver Dickinson
- The Cap of Sight By Jim Sizer
- Spells which I Don’t Use In My Campaign By Greg Stafford
- A Note By Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #34 (1982)
- RuneRites column: Creature Creations edited by Oliver Dickinson
- The Vrak By Andrew Brice
- The Nachak by Peter Davies
- Open Box, Cults of Terror review by Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #35 (1982)
- RuneRites column: Weapon Quest edited by Oliver Dickinson
- Queries by Oliver Dickinson
- New Weapons for RuneQuest by Andrew Brice
- The Caltrop
- The Shuriken
- Flails and Morning Stars
- Open Box, Borderlands review by Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #36 (1982)
- RuneRites column: Rules Additions by Simon Early, edited by Oliver Dickinson
- Open Box, Trollpak review by Tim Moyse
White Dwarf #37 (1983)
- Open Box, SoloQuest review by Clive Bailey
- RuneRites column: Magic Quest edited by Oliver Dickinson. This issue we have an assorted bunch of spells, items and suggestions. Two new Battle Magic spells and a Rune spell from Richard Case.
White Dwarf #38 (1983)
- Questworld, an introduction to Games Workshop’s Questworld scenario pack by Oliver Dickinson and Bob McWilliams
- RuneRites column: Lords of the Spirit World by Dave Morris, edited by Oliver Dickinson.
White Dwarf #39 (1983)
- RuneBlades, Special Swords for Cult Champions in RuneQuest by Dave Morris.
- RuneRities column: A Monster Mash – new creatures for RQ, edited by Oliver Dickinson.
- The Sharp-Toothed Hydra By Graham Northing
- The Crypt Stalker By Dave Morris
White Dwarf #40 (1983)
- RuneRities column: Trading, edited by Oliver Dickinson.
- Zen and the Art of Adventure Gaming, RuneQuest in Samurai Japan by Dave Morris
- Open Box: SoloQuest 2: Scorpion Hall review by Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #41 (1983)
- A Tasty Morsel, a tale of Griselda’s exploits in Pavis, Glorantha by Oliver Dickinson.
- Runerites column: Unarmed Combat II, edited by Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #42 (1983)
- Shamus Gets a Case, a Pavian tale of passion, love and fear by Oliver Dickinson.
- Runerites column: Horses by Graham Cobley, edited by Oliver Dickinson
- Open Box: SoloQuest 3: The Snow King’s Bride reviewed by Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #43 (1983)
- Hanufa’s Little Sister by Oliver Dickinson. This is the last in the present series of Griselda stories. Those interested in following Griselda’s further exploits will find her and Wolfhead and Co in Chaosium’s Pavis: Threshold to Danger
- RuneRites column: Arms Talk, Damage and Absorption in RuneQuest, edited by Oliver Dickinson
- Open Box: QuestWorld review by Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #44 (1983)
- Dealing with Demons, Demonology in RuneQuest, Part I: Demon Magic by Dave Morris.
- RuneRites column: Creature Creations, new monsters for RuneQuest.
- The Kirin by Dave Morris
- Golems by Simon Bashem
White Dwarf #45 (1883)
- Dealing with Demons, Demonology in RuneQuest, Part II: The Lesser Demons by Dave Morris.
- RuneRites column: Divinations, some clarifications by Oliver Dickinson
- Open Box: Pavis: Threshold to Danger review by Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #46 (1983)
- Dealing with Demons, Demonology in RuneQuest, Part 3: The Greater Demons by Dave Morris
- RuneRites column: Swashbuckler! Combat related ideas, edited by Oliver Dickinson
- Open Box: RuneQuest Companion review by Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #47 (1983)
- Open Box: The Big Rubble review by Oliver Dickinson
- Extracts from the Travels of Tralk True-Eye, Goblins in RuneQuest by Ian Bailey
- RuneRites column: Morale, edited by Oliver Dickinson
- Daily Health by Paddy Barrow
- Force of Will by Dave Morris
White Dwarf #48 (1983)
- The Lone and Level Sands by Oliver Johnson
- Crom Cruach, a goblin cult for RuneQuest by Ian Bailey
- RuneRites column: Ice, Desert and Swamp, New monsters for RuneQuest, edited by Oliver Dickinson
- Jasmai by Dave Morris
- Cactus Devils by Dave Morris
- Tan-Piri by Simon Bashem
White Dwarf #49 (1984)
- Runes in the Dungeon, D&D Character Classes for RuneQuest. Variant Rules for RuneQuest by Dave Morris
- RuneRites column: RuneQuestions, Readers’ questions answered, edited by Oliver Dickinson
- Goblin Cult of Kernu, A new cult for the goblins in RuneQuest featured in WD47 by Ian Bailey
White Dwarf #50 (1984)
- White Dwarf personalities by Phil Masters and Steve Gilham
- White Dwarf (RQ)
- Gobbledigook (RQ)
- Ian Livingstone (RQ)
- Thrud The Barbarian (RQ)
- Agaroth The Unwashed (RQ)
- Ugbash Facesplitter (RQ)
- RuneRites column: Runequest Hardware by Dean Aston, edited by Oliver Dickinson. The Mostali are the major machine-users in Glorantha, and display considerable hostility to members of any other race (normally the human) who become too scientific or technologically inventive [See Different Worlds 24], but they are unlikely to object to simple devices such as those suggested by Dean.
White Dwarf #51 (1984)
- The Black Broo of Dyskund, A RuneQuest Cavern Crawl by Ken Rolston
- RuneRites column: Runequest economics by Russell Massey, edited by Oliver Dickinson.
White Dwarf #52 (1984)
- RuneRites column: Rings, edited by Dave Morris. With this issue, I am taking over RuneRites from Oliver Dickinson, who has found that pressure of work prevents him from continuing. I am sure that RuneQuesters everywhere will join in thanking Oliver for the excellent material he has presented to us in this column over the last two years.
White Dwarf #53 (1984)
- RuneRites column: Of Oak, Ash & Mistletoe by Robert Dale, edited by Dave Morris. Ten Celtic mythos spells for RuneQuest. Robert has drawn these new Rune spells from Celtic druidic myth, though an enterprising Referee will have no trouble fitting them into any world. I must say, I find the names much more evocative than the bare and functional spell-titles usually found in RuneQuest. All the spells listed below are Non-Stackable and Reusable.
White Dwarf #54 (1984)
- Visiting Other Plains, setting up barbarian cultures in RuneQuest & FRP by Ian Marsh
- The Temple of the Doomed Price, a medium Level scenario for AD&D and RuneQuest by Phil Holmes. This adventure is based on Professor M A R Barker’s fantasy world of Tekumel outlined in Empire of the Petal Throne. For AD&D or RuneQuest – just assume that the adventure is located in some distant part of your campaign world. Where EPT monsters are used I have ‘reinterpreted’ these for AD&D and RQ use.
- RuneRites column: Down Among The Dead Men. The Undead in RuneQuest by Alex McDonald, edited by Dave Morris. Alex here provides us with a thought-provoking article on a subject the RQ rules treat only sketchily.
White Dwarf #55 (1984)
- The Unquiet Grave: The return of the dead in RuneQuest and FRP by Phil Holmes
- RuneRites column: Mystic Triptych, edited by Dave Morris. This issue we have a trio of ideas for enlivening your campaign – a new Rune spell, a weird new monster and a new magic item. l particularly like the Ring of Holding, as it should provide an entertaining role-play exchange between Referee and player when the ring wearer bargains with his captive.
- Night Shriekers By Oliver Johnson
- The Red Death By Steve Foster
- The Ring Of Holding By Yvonne Newnham
White Dwarf #56 (1984)
- Night’s Dark Agents, Ninjas in fantasy role-playing by Chris Elliott and Richard Edwards.
- RuneRites column: Mortal Combat, Rules alterations, additions and clarifications, edited by Dave Morris.
White Dwarf #57 (1984)
- Night’s Dark Agents, Creating and Playing Ninja Characters by Chris Elliott and Richard Edwards. This is the second instalment of a series about role-playing the Ninjas of medieval Japan in AD&D, RuneQuest and Bushido.
- RuneRites column: For the Blood is the Life, The Living Dead, edited by Dave Morris. RQ uses the term undead for beings which have no spirit self and, cut off from the universal psychic ‘flow’, do not naturally regenerate POW. This still leaves the classification of creatures such as ghouls and whirlvishes uncertain [see RuneRites. WD541. Icall these living dead – beings which maintain some sort of existence after death because their life-force is replaced by magic. The spirit continues to regenerate POW normally, but the dynamic force of the living dead creature (equivalent to a living being’s CON) is often precariously dependent on the special occult process that animates it.
White Dwarf #58 (1984)
- Night’s Dark Agents, Tactics and Strategy with Ninja Characters by Chris Elliott and Richard Edwards. Final instalment.
- RuneRites column: Cameos, Short Scenarios for RuneQuest Pavis Adventures by Pete Whitelaw, edited by Dave Morris. Cameos, as Pete said in his covering letter, ‘allow more scenarios to be fitted into less space’. It certainly seems a particularly good idea where a complex rule system like RuneQuest is involved – out dl the character stats and what-have you into a scenario and there is precious little room left for the adventure itself. Both of Pete’s cameos here should provide as entertaining an evening’s play as any big five-page scenario would, just so long as the Referee takes a few minutes to get the important NPCs worked out before the game. Cameos have the added advantage of flexibility, of course, in that the Referee can easily adjust the adventure to suit the strength of the party.
White Dwarf #59 (1984)
- On the Road, A RuneQuest Scenario Set in a Trading Caravan by Anna Price. A perilous journey through the vastness of the Plains of Prax with inter-adventure suggestions for Gloranthan RuneQuest.
- RuneRites column: Blood Sports, edited by Dave Morris.
- Gladiators In Runequest By Matthew Pook
- Pit Fighting By James Waterfield
White Dwarf #60 (1984)
- RuneRites column: Bits of Fluff by Alex McCunn, edited by Dave Morris. ‘What was what?’ said Boombash the Humakti. His companions turned. ‘Back there, he continued, ‘a scuffling inside that hollow tree. ‘ As they watched, a tiny furry creature clambered out of the tree trunk and fell with a plop to the grass. It looked back at them with comically round eyes, a toy spear clasped in its little fist. ‘You little so-and-so, ‘growled Boombash as he drew his sword, His teeth flashed in a malicious sneer as he advanced towards the tiny being. ‘I’ll teach you not to go frightening honest adventurers…’
- Dragon Balls
White Dwarf #61 (1985)
- The Spice of Life, an Expansion of Alchemy in RuneQuest by Oliver MacDonald
- RuneRites column: Treasures, edited by Dave Morris. This issue we have a further selection of magical weaponry – mostly relatively common items which the typical adventurer might find himself using (or being assailed with).
- The Helmet Of Akhul Wara by Oliver Dickinson
- Fang Warriors by Dave Morris
- The Snake Rattle by Angus Mclellan
- Sunstones by Angus Mclellan
White Dwarf #62 (1985)
- RuneRites column: Struck By Lightning by Dave Morris and Robert Dale, edited by Dave Morris. Robert’s previous selection of Celtic mythos Rune Spells [WD53] proved so popular that this month we have some more from his campaign – along with a few of my own devising.
- The Breath Of Llyr
- Balor’s Eye
- The Key Of Annwn
- The Cauldron Of Annwn
- Nuada’s Hand
White Dwarf #63 (1985)
- Runerites column: HOWZAT! by Mark Wilkinson, David Bailey and Richard Bramah, edited by Dave Morris. RuneQuest is a game with its own distinctive brand of humour, so it is a pleasure to get the occasional contribution which enters into this spirit. If you thought elfball was a sweet-and-sour dish served up in Thunderbreath restaurants, guess again…!
White Dwarf #64 (1985)
- Open Box: Avalon Hill RuneQuest review by Oliver Dickinson
- Deluxe Edition
- Gamesmaster’s Box
- Player’s Box
White Dwarf #65 (1985)
White Dwarf #67 (1985)
Runerites column become bimonthly.
- Open Box: Avalon Hill Monster Coliseum review by Oliver Dickinson
- Runerites column: Loam Wolves, Barbarian Magic by Barry Atkins, edited by Dave Morris. This month we have an alternative to battle magic among the barbarian tribes. Barry originally designed this system for Glorantha, but points out that it is all the more appropriate now that RQ has ‘gone European’. Also, Oliver Dickinson has kindly obtained some clarifications for RQ3 which are included this issue.
- Runequest 3 Clarifications by Oliver Dickinson
White Dwarf #69 (1985)
- RuneRites column: Close Encounters by Ian Marsh, edited by Dave Morris. It is a fact that animals just do not measure up realistically against men in most of the role-playing combat systems around. Seeking to modify the rules to correct this, our illustrious Assistant Ed has also developed a neat solution to the handling characteristics question. Briefly stated, this is the principle that a spear is all very well for holding off a brigand given plenty of space, but if he manages to get within a few feet of you then his dagger ought to prove more useful.
White Dwarf #71 (1985)
- RuneRites column: – Not Waving But Drowning by Dave Lucas, edited by Dave Morris. This month, two water creatures. What makes David’s submissions a little out-of-the-ordinary, I feel, is the way he has presented both the Fable and the Truth (ie rules) for each creature. Players should only be aware of the Fable, of course-something which should be the case with every RQ beastie, but is unfortunately rarely enforced!
- The Nereid
White Dwarf #73 (1986)
Final RuneRites column
- RuneRites column: – First This, Then That by Oliver Johnson, edited by Dave Morris. We get a lot of submissions about RQ combat. Too many. Few people have suggestions for adjusting the noncombat rules, though there is plenty more room for change in that department. The procedure for climbing a cliff face or hiding from a sentry is so quick and simple (one dice roll!) that a few additional rules can do no harm -and may even correct the continual injustices that I’m sure have irked many a player.
- Non-Combat Skills
- A Few Tips For Keeping Track Of Spells
- For Keeping Track Of Special Items
White Dwarf #74 (1986)
- Open Box: Avalon Hill Vikings review by Oliver Dickinson
- The Hide of the Ancestor by Chris Watson. RuneQuest scenario for lion-hearted adventurers. This scenario has been written specifically for 2nd edition RuneQuest-referees of the 3rd edition will need to modify it accordingly. Party strength should be limited to characters with weapon skills in the range 55-75%, with no Rune Magic and little or no stored POW.
White Dwarf #75 (1986)
- RuneQuest Ruminations, Thoughts on Runequest 3 from Oliver Dickinson.
White Dwarf #81 (1986)
- Open Box: Avalon Hill Griffin Island review by Robert Neville
White Dwarf #83 (1986)
- Open Box: RuneQuest Cities review by Graeme Davis
White Dwarf #84 (1986)
- Open Box: Carse review by Robert Neville
White Dwarf #85 (1987)
- A Tale to Tell, Gloranthan RuneQuest adventure, by Jon Quaife.
- A Tale to Tell is a Praxian adventure for at least six characters, with the party containing a minimum of one Rune Level, Adept, or Shaman. The characters could become involved because members of their cults have shamed themselves trying to kill the figure central to the plot (Muriah), or because it is an excellent opportunity to kill chaos, make a name for yourself and get some cash, all rolled into one.
White Dwarf #88 (1987)
- When Mad Gods Laugh, a Runequest III adventure by Barry Atkins.
- This adventure is designed to be usable in any RuneQuest setting. It is not a Gloranthan adventure, although it is quite compatible with a Gloranthan background. The only basic premise that should be followed is the presence of some Chaotic or Evil Gods whose major wish is to see the world a much less happy place.
White Dwarf #90 (1987)
- The Magard Scrolls, Jack O’Bears: Jon Quaife offers a few fragments of knowledge for RuneQuest IlI
White Dwarf #92 (1987)
- Demons, Dealing with the Otherworld by Jon Quaife: Summon more than you bargained for in RuneQuest III, as explained by an otherworldly Jon Quaife
White Dwarf #93 (1987)
- Open Box, review of RuneQuest Monsters by Paul Cockburn.
White Dwarf #94 (1987)
- The Coliseum: The RuneQuest Monsters book from Games Workshop draws together monsters and creatures from several RuneQuest Ill sources. One of these was Monster Coliseum, a collection of creatures and rules for arena combats, and chariot racing. In rearranging and reformating the RQ rules, some sections didn’t have a natural home, like this bit… But, waste not, want not: here are the gladiatorial rules from Monster Coliseum in their entirety. We’ve got plans to bring you the Chariot racing rules in a couple of months – watch this space! However, this first extract from Monster Coliseum is printed by permission of the Avalon Hill Game Company, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
White Dwarf #96 (1987)
- The Beast of Kozamura, Land of Ninja scenario
White Dwarf #98 (1987)
- Iron Warriors, Jon Quaife visits Griffin Island and encounters an unusual patrol. Some of you may well have visited Griffin Island in time long past. It is unlikely, however, that you encountered these four mysterious characters on your adventure. Nevertheless Jon Quaife assures us that they do exist..
White Dwarf #99 (1987)
- Eeeyaaargh! Martial arts
White Dwarf #101 (1988)
- Rumble at the No. I Inn by Jon Quaife. This scenario is designed to be used with the RuneQuest supplement Griffin Island. The recommended number of characters is six, with a skill range between 40% and 60%, and a weapon master. Some magic could prove handy. The plot is quite simple; it involves a band of dwarves, Arksus Gree (an unpleasant type from Ockless), a bunch of slarges, and the player characters (PCs). The scenario also features Gondo Holst (a conniving trader in cahoots with Arksus) and Tarn the Tiger with his pirate crew from The Soulfire.
White Dwarf – The Best of Scenarios Vol. I (1980)
- Lair of the White Wyrm, a Runequest mini scenario by John Bethell
- Jorthan’s Rescue, a Runequest mini scenario by Steve Marsh & John Sapienza Jr.
White Dwarf – The Best of Scenarios Vol. III (1985)
- Rumble at the Tin Inn. Bar-room brawl for RQ II set in Apple Lane, by Michael Cule
White Dwarf – The Best of Articles Vol. III (1986)
- Dealing With Demons, Demonology in RuneQuest by Dave Morris 3:
- Zen and the Art of Adventure Gaming, RuneQuest in Samurai Japan by Dave Morris (White Dwarf #40 (1983))
- The Best of Rune Rites
- Rules Additions by Simon Early, edited by Oliver Dickinson (White Dwarf #36 (1982))
- Swashbuckler! Combat related ideas, edited by Oliver Dickinson (White Dwarf #46 (1983))
- Black Sun (1984-1985)
- GW004616 RuneQuest (1987)
- GW004628 Advanced RuneQuest (Volume 2 1987)
- GW004630 Griffin Island (Volume 5 1986)
- GW004655 Land of Ninja (Volume 4 1987)
- GW004667 Monsters (Volume 3 1987)
- GW03211 RuneQuest Character Sheets (1982)
- GW102107 RuneQuest Boxed set (1982)
- Owl & Weasel (1976)