A long time ago, no dffference existed between people and animals. But when things changed and the world worsened, people were set apart. Only the Hsunchen remember the older, better age when people freely conversed with animals and all living things were brothers.
The Hsunchen primitives hold to their old ways in scattered wildernesses throughout Genertela and the fringes of Pamaltela. Different tribes may worship dffferent local and ancestral spirits but, despite this, they preserve some common traits, especially concerning their creation and most ancient practices.
Hsunchen are human, though tales of hybrid monsters and miscegenation haunt them wherever they dwell. The Hsunchen usually live in regions too bleak or dense for exploitation by neighboring cultures.
The members of the Hsunchen pantheon include:
- Basmol — The Lion God
- Earthmaker — the Great Spirit
- Earth Witch — grandmother earth
- First Four Companions — old gods, friends of the great spirit (Loon, Otter, Sea Eagle, and Turtle)
- Grandmother Earth — mother of life
- Horned Man — the great shaman
- Hykim & Mikyh — beast parents
- King of Above — Chief Star
- King of Below — Grasper
- Korgatsu — The Cosmic Dragon, and ancestor of Beasts
- Old Man & Old Woman — The First People
- Totemic Ancestors — The Ancestral Beast Gods
- Telmor — The Wolf God