Roleplaying in Glorantha
Cosmic forces stir. Gods and goddesses awaken, spirits cross the barrier, and essences flow over the world. Demons shatter their bonds and ravage the world. Demigods lead armies and the dead lurch forth from their graves. Oceans rise, the sky falls. It is the Hero Wars.
A Game of Adventure
Foreigners surge into your homeland. Monsters roam the landscape. Empires rise and fall, and lives hang in the balance. Adventure into the myths and conflicts of this ancient and magical world and make it your home.
A Game of Heroes
You oversee the actions of your hero. You choose the abilities and magic that will propel him towards his destiny. Gather your companions and gain the support of peoples, nations, and religions. Quest to become an immortal hero of legend.
A Game of Discovery
Starting is quick and easy, because the game is designed teach the rules as part of the story. A colorful narrative illustrates the rules, setting, and flexible nature of the system. All the rules needed to play are in this book.
- Playing HeroQuest–Information on Roleplaying in Glorantha, What are the Hero Wars?, and Magical Landscapes.
- Heroes–Create your hero by choosing from 13 occupations and 10 homelands.
- Hero Points–Use hero points to influence the game or improve your hero
- Core Rules–Rules for Simple Contests, Extended Contests, Modifiers and Augmentation, and Healing and Recovery.
- Relationships-_Use Retainers and Sidekicks, seek Community Support, and pledge yourself to Guardians and Hero Bands.
- Basic Magic–Universal Magic Rules for Contests, Common Magic, and Religions, including sample Common Religions.
- Theism–Magic from the God World, including Sample Deities.
- Animism–Magic from the Spirit World, including Sample Traditions and Practices.
- Wizardry–Magic from the Essence Planes, including Sample Churches, Saintly Orders, and Wizardry Schools.
- Narrating HeroQuest–Tips for helping Heroes, running Contests, narrating HeroQuest, and having Maximum Game Fun.
- Heroquesting–Adventures in the Gods War, with details of The Story, The Hero, The Crossing, The Quest, and The Return.
- Creatures–Statistics for 45 creatures to aid or oppose your hero.
- Introduction to Glorantha–Mythos and History, The Mortal World, and an introduction to Dragon Pass, land of thunder.
- Adventures–Four complete adventures, including the Heavy Earth heroquest.
- Appendices–Sample Hero Bands, Runes, Bibliography and Sources, Game Aids, Glossary of Essential Game Terms, and a full Index
Everyone is a hero in HeroQuest!
HeroQuest, Roleplaying in Glorantha is intended for both players and narrators.
- HeroQuest Design: Greg Stafford.
- Original Game Design: Robin D. Laws.
- Development Assistance: Mark Galeotti, Stephen Martin, and Roderick Robertson.
- Additional Author Credits:
- Creatures statistics by or based on statistics by Jamie “Trotsky” Revell;
- “Dragon Pass” section of Introduction to Glorantha chapter by Ian Cooper and Greg Stafford;
- “High Pressure Front” by Dave Camoirano and Mark Galeotti;
- “Chasing Kites” and “Heavy Earth” by Jeff Kyer;
- “Fish Rain” by Greg Stafford and Mark Galeotti;
- “Arshkuveth’s Own” by Mark Galeotti;
- “Heartdrummers” by Bryan Thexton;
- “Prophets of the Golden Age” by Martin Hawley.
- Additional Text, Commentary, Inspiration, and Editorial Assistance: Dave Camoirano, Melissa Camoirano, Charles Corrigan, Ian Cooper, David Dunham, James Frusetta, Phil Hibbs, Jeff Kyer, Martin Laurie, Mark Leymaster, Julian Lord, Rick Meints, Peter Metcalfe, Peter Nordstrand, Wesley Quadros, Jonas Schiött, Gary Sturgess, Ian Thomson, Nils Weinander.
- Content Review: Dave Camoirano, David Dunham, Mark Galeotti, Jeff Kyer, Stephen Martin, Rick Meints, Roderick Robertson.
- Content Editing and Text Editing: Merlin Cox, Jonathan Geere. Prooﬁng: Merlin Cox, Andrew Dawson, Jonathan Geere, Sara Martin, Stephen Martin, Jonas Schiött.
- Cover Illustration: Lee Moyer.
- Cover Design: Gevin Shaw and Stephen Martin.
- Interior Illustrations: Bernard Bittler, Simon Bray, Heather Bruton, William Church, Tanner Critz, Larry Dixon, Lisa Free, Ossi Hiekkala, Paul Jaquays, Angelo Montanini, Mark Moreno, Duck Nicolson, Jim Pavelec, Kevin Ramos, Markku Silvennoinen, Darran Sims, Tom Sullivan, Greg Walsh. NB: Boris Sirbey has contributed illustrations but is not listed in the credits. We apologize for the mistake.
- Maps: Cyrille Daujean and Charlie Krank, except page 127 by William Church.
- Diagrams: Stephen Martin.
- Layout: Gevin Shaw.
- Layout Design: Melanie Haage and Stephen Martin.
- Character Sheet Design: Stephen Martin and Gevin Shaw.
- Lettering: Dave Camoirano.
- Playtesters: Benedict Adamson, Mark Adri-Soejoko, Andrew Armstrong, Todd Beckley, Tom Beeson, Simon Bray, Tabatha Bray, Max Breeks, Dave Camoirano, Melissa Camoirano, Steve Canon, Mike Connolly, Tracey Connolly, Ian Cooper, Charles Corrigan, Suzanne Courteau, Bryan Davis, Kenny Dunn, Bryan Feir, Dave “Fergie” Ferguson, Mark Galeotti, Chris Geddes, James Hawkins, Guy Jobbins, Chris Jones, Brian Kendall, Janina Konopka, Jeff Kyer, Brian Laxson, Chris Morrell, Paul Rocchi, Mark Rowe, Tom Salas, Chris Siebenmann, Darran Sims, Greg Stafford, Jason Stafford, Louise Stanhope, Mark Stanhope, Jennifer Stant, Bryan Thexton, Steven White, Bastian Wolfe. (We apologize if we have inadvertently left anyone off of this list.)
- Hero Wars Development, Additional Text, and Rules Consultants: Shannon Appelcline, David Cake, John Carnahan, David Dunham, Alex Ferguson, Phil Hibbs, Simon D. Hibbs, Martin Laurie, Stephen Martin, Wesley Quadros, Mikael Raaterova, Jamie Revell, Roderick Robertson.
- Product Number ISS1001
- ISBN 1-929052-12-X
- 288 pages, standard format
- First Printing July 2003
- Published by Moon Design