A little snipped from the Campaign Guide that folk might find interesting. I’m going to talk more about this on Saturday during Impromptu Con!
This phase begins with the Dragonrise and is dominated by Argrath’s rise to power in Dragon Pass. By the end of the phase, Argrath is King of Dragon Pass. This is the default start of the RuneQuest: Glorantha Hero Wars campaign.
- Events – A True Dragon awakens and devours the Lunar Army in Dragon Pass. The Lunar Empire itself is nearly torn apart by internal dissent and a major invasion by a confederation of Pentan tribes. Sartar is liberated but its first free Prince has a short reign, and the kingdom nearly collapses from internal rivalries. Argrath lights the Flame of Sartar and becomes the Prince of Sartar. As the Lunar Empire returns to Dragon Pass, Argrath renews his alliance with Harrek the Berserk and defeats the Lunar Army at the Battle of Heroes, killing the mortal shell of Jar-eel the Razoress. Argrath goes on to marry the Feathered Horse Queen and becomes the King of Dragon Pass. The current mask of the Red Emperor is sacrificed but a new mask does not appear.
- Wars – Lunar war against confederation of Pentan tribes. Lunar attempts to reconquer Sartar; Argrath’s wars of unification; the Battle of Heroes. In Talastar, Hahlgrim fights a war against Ralzakark.
- Changes – A True Dragon awakens as do draconic thoughts long quiescent. Long-forgotten spirits and heroes reappear. The Red Goddess is wounded by Harrek the Berserk. The Red Emperor is killed and the Glowline temporarily fails. Mad Sultanate released, and Charg is thawed from the Syndics Ban.
- Elder Races – Reforestation of Fronela. In Peloria and Maniria new woods appear overnight.
- Other Events: True Dragon shadows Red Moon. First firebergs seen in the Homeward Ocean. Waertagi claim rule of the seas and attack all other sailors.
- Major Characters – Argrath, Harrek, Jar-eel, Kallyr Starbrow, Gunda, Beat-pot Aelwrin, Ethilrist, Fazzur Wideread, Fazzur’s Sons, Feathered Horse Queen, Leika Ballista, Mularik, Pharandros
It is worth mentioning that there are FIVE phases in the Hero Wars campaign.
Think of the Hero Wars like the Thirty Years War or the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. By the time things settle down things have changed so much that nobody can even recognise the previous world.
The final stage has the biggest changes, of course.