So as we are looking at population numbers and area, it is worth looking at some of the cities:
- Boldhome: 350 hectares. Population 11,000
- Other Sartarite cities: 25 to 50 hectares.
- Population: 1200 (Alone) to 4000 (Alda-Chur).
- Furthest: 130 hectares. Population 20,000.
- Nochet: 600 hectares. Population: 100,000+
- Old Pavis: 1905 hectares(!). Population unknown.
So comparing sizes, Boldhome is a MUCH bigger city in area than Furthest. The Main City plus the West, East, and Top Pockets occupy about 100 hectares. But the whole valley is probably closer to about 350+ hectares.
As an interesting point in comparison, here’s the size of several ancient world cities:
- Alexandria: 236 hectares (not including palace or Pharos)
- Antioch: 375 hectares
- Athens: 120 hectares
- Autun: 200 hectares
- Babylon: 500 hectares
- Jeusalem: 110 hectares (including the Temple and Herod’s Palace)
- Londinium:135 hectares
- Miletus: 100 hectares
- Ninevah: 720 hectares
- Palmyra: 130 hectares
- Pompeii: 65 hectares
- Rhodes: 388 hectares
- Rome: 360 hectares (within the Servian Wall).
Of Boldhome the valley is about 350 hectares. Much of that is grassland or pasture. Think an Alpine valley like the Lauterbrunnental.
Boldhome has walls just at the mouth of the valley. The mountains ARE the walls of Boldhome.
How much of Boldhome’s area is actually livable, as opposed to cliff or hillside? About 350 hectares of valley bottom.About 350 hectares of valley bottom.
Before the Dragonrise, Boldhome had a Lunar garrison and a military commander. Shortly after the Dragonrise, it didn’t.