29 October 2009
Those who are familiar with Greg Stafford’s Glorantha are likely familiar with the problem of scale in previously published maps. One map might say it is 50 miles from Clearwine Fort to Duck Point, another says it is only 30 miles. One map might display the continent of Genertela as being 3000 miles from west to east, but using the scale on another one gets the distance of only 1600 miles.
It is enough to drive a poor cartographer mad.
Fortunately, Colin Driver (our cartographer) is not a poor cartographer and was already mad to begin with. And so after much hard work he has resolved the scale of Glorantha issue once and for all. Genertela is approximately 3000 miles from west to east (which is comparable to the distance from the eastern seaboard of the United States to the western seaboard). It is approximately 50 miles from Clearwine Fort to Duck Point (as the Orlanthi holy man flies) and precisely 68 miles from Jonstown to AldaChur.
As you can see, the Kingdom of Sartar is roughly the distance from Nottingham to Durham and is comparable in size to the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Northumberia. In this comparison projection, Whitewall is approximately where Leicester would be, Duck Point near Manchester, Runegate outside of Leeds, and central Tarsh is in the Lake District. Boldhome would be somewhere near Hull. AldaChur would be somewhere in North Yorkshire.
Thus compared to England, the Kingdom of Sartar stretches from the Midlands to North East England. This is the canonical scale of Glorantha.
The Sartar book will contain many maps designed to give GMs and players a much better feel for the exact size of things in Dragon Pass, including:
- A map of Dragon Pass and the Holy Country
- A map of Sartar
- A map showing the boundaries of all the tribes of Sartar
- A map showing the major holy places of the Sartarites
- A detailed map of the lands of the Colymar tribe
- A map showing the boundaries of all the clans of Colymar tribe and their neighboring tribes.
And much more! Last I counted we had more than 20 maps in the Sartar ;Book.
- 13th Age in Glorantha Kickstarter News (2014)
- A Little Background on the Stafford Library
- A Visit to the Printers – See HeroQuest Glorantha Covers
- An Ernaldan Festival (2013)
- Announcing the new Prince of Sartar webcomic!!!
- Bina Bang & Lord Lurker in Dark (2013)
- Bronze Age Weapons
- Canon and YGWV (2013)
- Company News
- Convention News
- Divine Magic: Sacrifice and Prayer
- Draft maps of the Hero Wars
- Dragon Pass on YouTube
- Esrolian Queens List
- Experimental Mapping
- Field School of Magic
- Genealogy of the Earth Gods (2014)
- Gigantic war games of the Hero Wars
- Glorantha cultures: cross-pollination and changes over time
- Glorantha returns to Chaosium
- Gloranthan Art in Berlin
- Gloranthan artifacts
- Gloranthan Magic and Synchronicity
- Gloranthan Readings: Jorge Luis Borges – Collected Fiction
- Gloranthan Readings: Poems of Heaven and Hell from Ancient Mesopotamia
- Gloranthan timelines
- Golden Mokato
- Guide to Glorantha News and Previews
- Here’s a question for you all
- HeroQuest Glorantha News
- Jan Pospisil selling art King of Dragon Pass.
- Lunar Command Standards
- Lunar Imperial Army standards
- Lunar Province of Holay
- Malkioni Wizardry
- Map fact of the day
- Master Map of Dragon Pass
- Moon Design Creative Bunker
- More Gloranthan Art in Berlin
- New Feature: Gloranthan Readings
- Nochet, City of Queens with map
- Notes on Illumination in the Second Age (2015)
- Old School Sword and Sorcery Art from the 1970s
- On magical battalions in the Hero Wars
- Orlanth & Prax
- Praxian Nomads
- Print the Stafford Library at Lulu.com
- Queen Hendira
- RuneQuest Classic Kickstarter News
- Sartar Free Army (2015)
- Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes Underworld Quest
- Scout Dragonewt skull
- Site & Forum News
- Snippet of Seshnelan History
- Some teases on the Glorantha Source Book
- Some thoughts on spirits and gods
- Some thoughts on the Gloranthan gods, cults, and divine names
- Special ToMA episode: Greg talks about The Future of Chaosium
- Strength of the Lunar Army
- The castes of Seshnela
- The discovery of Glorantha
- The Eight Sons of Yelm
- The Gods War
- The Kickstarter Survey is nigh!
- The Map Vault
- The Tournament of the Masters of Luck and Death
- Understanding the Malkioni approach to sorcery, runes, and gods
- Understanding the Runes
Page Last updated: 2022-04-29 15:33:54