This isn’t going into the Guide, but is presented to show how much Gloranthan geography has evolved since 1975. This is one of Greg’s original maps of the Lunar Empire and beyond. The key elements are still there, and I like to think this is the sort of map you might see in Furthest of Mirin’s Cross.
This was posted on Google+ (Tapatalk archive)
- Argan Argar Atlas Update (2013)
- Art direction for the cover of the Guide
- Black Dragon Mountain pictoglyphs (2013)
- Busy with the Guide
- Buy the Guide to Glorantha and the Argan Argar Atlas!
- Coming Storm News
- Copper Tablets of Yuthuppa (2013)
- Cryptic Verses of the Yellow Calendar Plate 36 (2013)
- Cryptic Verses Preview (2013)
- Dara Happan Godswall (2013)
- Dragonewt Roads Map
- Finishing with the East Isles section
- Full Map of Glorantha
- Genertela complete, Oceans ahoy!
- Getting closer!
- Getting very close with the East Isles!
- Guide status report
- Guide Status report
- Guide to Glorantha nominated for four ENnies 2015
- Guide to Glorantha Status report
- Guide to Glorantha wins Silver ENnie for Best Cartography
- Guide Update: To the South!
- Harrek the Berserk and Gunda the Guilty
- Hrestol and the Vadeli Judges
- Hsunchen (Rathori and Uncoling) by Jeff Laubenstein
- Inspiration for the Gods Wall
- Inspiration for the Gods Wall II
- Kingdom of War
- Layout from the Guide
- Layout on the Guide has official commenced!
- Legend for Argan Argar Atlas (2014)
- Map of Nochet 1621 ST (2013)
- Moon Design wins 2015 Diana Jones Award for Guide to Glorantha!
- New East Isles info
- Orlanth’s Ring
- Ouranekki PDF available (2013)
- PDF downloads of the Guide and Atlas for Kickstarter backers
- Penultimate Guide Preview
- Population detail maps for Pamaltela complete
- Prax landscape art direction (2013)
- Pre-Order the Guide and Argan Argar Atlas now!
- Pre-ordering the Guide to Glorantha and the Atlas – a few days left!
- Preorder the Guide to Glorantha NOW!
- Preview of Vol. One for Kickstarter backers
- Reconstructing Slontos – 2nd Age
- Reconstructing Slontos – 3rd Age
- Reconstructing the Hero Wars
- Sample cultural distribution maps
- Showing off the Guide to Glorantha
- Sixth Wane Ouranekki board (2013)
- Strange bit of Art Description going in the Guide (2013)
- The Gloranthan Seasons by Jennifer Lange
- The Gods Wall
- The Guide has left the Building
- The Guide is at the Printers!
- The Guide is being bound as we speak!
- The making of a Hon-eel picture
- The Mostali certainly aren’t generic fantasy… (2013)
- The Ultimate Preview and the Kickstarter Survey
- Ultimate Previews and Surveys go out tomorrow!
- Unveiling the Guide to Glorantha
- Update on the Guide – Delays and Headaches
- View of sacred Prax from the Paps (2013)
- Volume 2 and the destruction of Imperial Seshnela
- Vormain Map Creation – Step 1
- Vormain Map Creation – Step 2
- Waertagi dragon ship by Jeff Laubenstein (2013)
- Weather in Glorantha (2013)
9 thoughts on “An early map of the Lunar Empire (2013)”
‘Heretics Country’ is referenced in White Bear and Red Moon/Dragon Pass (Lunar Empire), and apparently in Wyrms Footnotes 7 (which I don’t have a copy of). It is shown on the map in the Avalon Hill version of the Dragon Pass rules (page 30) as to the north east of Oraya and the Blue Moon Plateau.
Wonder if the Heretics Country became the territory briefly labeled “Hykimi” in the old Runequest rulebook and which corresponds geographically to our modern Ignorance. No sign of it in the very large-scale “Introduction to the Surface World” in WF 4.
I think Hykim refers to the Shan Shan mountains which are inhabited by Hsunchen.
As for what Heretics Country might be now, the Guide intruigingly mentions the Mad Sultanates (in plural) and the Beyond Nightmares. It could also be the City of the White Heart in Oraya.
Looking at the Atlas, what was Heretics Country is now forest – north of the Blue Moon Plateau and the Glowline. An apparently empty wilderness…..
Heretics Country is H’har As Jing beyond the Red Hair Place.
I suppose the question was whatever became of Heretics Country. Given the distortion of the map, it could point to Kingdom of Ignorance, Kralorela (with its Red Gardener), Pent (with its reverance of Sheng Seleris), the Elder Wilds (no idea who would be the heretics there).
There are a few other locations that invite speculation. Does the Desert of Fear refer to Ramalia?
Heretics country lies beyond the Redlands at the extreme right of the map.
Whatever happened to Heretics Country? and what do those direction squiggles mean?
Wow! That is old! I’ll give it to my players and say, “There, that’s your knowledge of the world!”
Comments are closed.