Submitted by Jeff on Thu, 01/11/2012 – 12:55
The Guide to Glorantha is a special book and needs a special cover. This is the story of the evolution of the cover from concept through to late draft.
This is an artifact from Glorantha – I think it stands in the center of the Hall of Incantations in the City of 10,000 Magicians. Legend ascribes it to the Sorcerer Isopaxateles, who enslaved mostali from Imther to construct it.
It is a stone wheel, inlaid with precious metals and stones. Stylistically it is a cross between Archaic Greek, Mesoamerican, and Tibetan Buddhist. The Wheel of Isopaxateles depicts the cosmology of Glorantha. The Sky Dome surrounds the world and consists of five joined golden bands, with the Gloranthan Power Runes inlayed.
Above the wheel is the Sky God Dayzatar carrying his staff. He is as depicted in the Godswall.
Within is the Middle Air, the Earth, the Seas, and the Underworld. The Middle Air is divided into dark blue and light blue, and is a lapis lazuli inlay (of two different pieces of stone).
At the uppermost Middle Air is the Sun, atop which the Emperor Yelm is enthroned. He is based on the image in the Godswall.
The left hand sky is dark blue (night) and has the Storm God Orlanth armed with sword and thunderbolt (Greek style thunderbolt, PLEASE!), standing atop a bronze Air Rune. Below is a sword carrying Orlanthi warrior, a queen, and a herder with sheep or cattle.
The right hand sky is light blue (day) and has the Red Goddess dancing atop a red Moon Rune. Below her are Dara Happan soldiers, noble, and peasants with a horse.
In the center is the White Mountain (Kerofin) with a brown True Dragon entwined around it. The shape should suggest the Dragonewt Rune.
Below is the earth. Within is the beautiful Earth Queen. We probably can’t get away with her being bare breasted, but it should suggest that she should be. She wears a golden teardrop necklace and should look like Jan’s Esrolian queen.
On the sides are the oceans with a merman and a mermaid.
Below is the Underworld. It is black, but you can see a troll goddess, a broo, and a skeleton.
Submitted by Joerg Baumgartner on Thu, 03/01/2013 – 06:46.
What wane is the artifact from? Or did it magically add the Red Goddess in 1247?
Submitted by Michael Johnston on Mon, 31/12/2012 – 11:54.
Looks like it. I thought that was the Law rune he was standing on, but it seems the bottom is actually open.
Submitted by Charles on Mon, 31/12/2012 – 11:22.
Submitted by phf on Mon, 31/12/2012 – 10:49.
Jon does great work! Who is the new figure next to the Red Goddess? He doesn’t appear in the concept sketch….
Submitted by boztakang on Wed, 19/12/2012 – 11:02.
Obviously, the “down under” volume will have to show the world “Right Side Up” with Kyger Litor throned in glory, surveying the thronging swarms of her children as they dance and feast upon captured representatives of the various food races.
it’s really the only option…
Submitted by Jim Groves on Fri, 14/12/2012 – 09:48.
Awesome. Now I wonder what the second cover will depict?
- 15 Sun Dome Temples
- A Sense of Scale
- Art and Culture and a Fantasy World
- Bearded Storm and Hagodereth, and Wyters
- Characters from Sartar Games
- Coins of Glorantha Part 1
- Coins of Glorantha Part 2
- Coming Soon Sartar Companion
- Concept Art Sartar Kingdom Heroes
- Convention Chimériades 2009
- Convention Schedule 2012
- Dad How Good Am I
- Dara Happan Depictions of the Orlanthi Gods
- Detailing Glorantha
- Draft Character Sheets for Sartar
- Draft Clan Profile Sheets for Sartar
- East Wilds And Dragon Pass
- Four Major Cultures Genertela
- Genertela at the Dawn
- Glorantha Convention Calendar 2010
- Glorantha Maps
- Gloranthan Wiki
- Going to London Dragonmeet?
- Greater Lunar Empire
- Guide text Finished
- Hearts in Glorantha
- Heortling Mythology goes to the printers
- Heracles Another Name
- Heroquest and Glorantha at Eternal Con 2010
- Historical Atlas Glorantha, Part III
- Historical Atlas Glorantha, Part IV
- Historical Atlas of Genertela, Part II
- King of Dragon Pass Available
- Late Golden Age
- Loskalm Art Direction
- Making a Lunar Empire Map for the Guide
- Malkioni Sorcery
- Much on my Plate
- New Book New Family Member
- New Myth of the Month – Moveable Ephemeris And Gloranthan Sky
- Quick Summary of Gloranthan Cultures: Part 1, Orlanthi Dragon Pass And the Holy Country
- Quick Summary of Gloranthan Cultures: Part 2, Westerners
- Quick Summary of Gloranthan Cultures: Part 3
- Ropecon 2011
- Ropecon 2011 Heroes And More
- Route to Battle Valley
- Sartar Coming Soon
- Sartar Companion Preview
- Sartar Cover
- Sartar Here
- Sartar Kingdom Heroes Available at Dragonmeet, London
- Seshnela Art Direction
- Seven Fantasy Must Reads
- Sizing Art for Moon Design products
- Some Fronelan Population And Cultural Details
- Theyalan Art Direction
- What Moon Design is Working on Right Now
- Xeotam Dialogues (2012)
- Yolp Mountains