Jeff Richard is one of the regular posters in the RuneQuest Facebook Group. here’s some of his recent RuneQuest posts, only Jeff’s replies are included where relevant. Facebook membership is required to access the originals.
As an aside, I often post notes or things that I am working on that I think people will find interesting or useful. But I am posting this material without edits or revisions – they are all notes or works in progress. If people really expect me to edit or revise such ephemera before I post it, I am probably not going to post such things.Jeff Richard, 2021
Newest at top, oldest at bottom.
From time to time, I find this old chart of mine useful for getting perspective on the passage of Time in Glorantha:
- Present year 1627
- 10 years ago – Lunar Empire invades Hendrikiland
- 25 years ago – Boldhome falls to the Lunar Empire
- 50 years ago – Battle of Grizzly Peak
- 100 years ago – Apotheosis of Sartar
- 300 years ago – Belintar unites Holy Country
- 500 years ago – the Dragonkill War (1120)
- 1000 years ago- the Kingdom of Dragon Pass. After this came the EWF.
- 1500 years ago – the Second Council. The Theyalans dominate Genertela and war with the Pelorian horse people.
- 2000 years ago – I Fought, We Won, and the Unity Battle. After this, came the Heortling kingdom, which lasted about 800 years (until Gbaji destroyed it).
- 2500 years ago – The Chaos Age, which lasted until the Unity Battle.
- 3000 years ago – the Ice Age (when Valind’s Glacier conquered much of the world.)
- 5000 years ago – the Vingkotlings
- 10,000 years ago – Orlanth kills Yelm
I then compare this to a Greek at the time of Alexander
- 10 years ago – Philip founds Philippopolis (330 BC)
- 25 years ago – the Sacred War
- 50 years ago – Battle of Leuctra (371 BC)
- 100 years ago – start of the Peloponnesian War
- 300 years ago – fall of the Neo-Assyrian Empire
- 500 years ago – the neo-Assyrian Empire
- 1000 years ago – the Trojan War
- 1500 years ago – height of Babylon
- 2000 years ago – Sargon and the Akkadian Empire
- 2500 years ago – Gilgamesh is king of Uruk
- 3000 years ago – Menes units Egypt (first dynasty)
- 5000 years ago – Neolithic cities like Catal Huyuk and Jericho
- 10,000 years ago – beginning of Neolithic age
This goes to one of my big bugaboos in materials that get submitted to me – small details from a fifteen hundred years before the book’s present are described at length, while more pertinent things from the last generation or two are ignored. I consider that part of the legacy of Tolkien, where Aragorn can show up a thousand years after the line of Isildur ended and be recognised as the legitimate king based on that distant ancestry.
I use an ancient world example because we belong to a literate society with a long tradition of extensive record-keeping. We know far more about Sargon than Alexander ever could have.
You should never get on the wrong side of the Earth Mother!
A nice detail of the area around Two Ridge Fox, showing the villages of the Malani and Cinsina tribes.
Glorantha is a rich and diverse setting and people can make their own decisions about what to do with it. With RuneQuest you can run everything from domestic “clan hearth” activities to “edgy” horror scenarios. You can run games that are very much about playing around with unexpected ways the rule mechanics interact or can play the game where the rules are simply a framework. Or whatever else you want. I’ve got my own preferences for how to play and the published books reflect that, but there is no one true way to approach the setting and the rules – in the end, use what works for you and those you associate with. RuneQuest is intended for a grown-up audience – it deals with mythology, realistic depictions of the consequences of violence, death, etc. Most importantly, it is “fantastic” in the sense of Neil Gaiman’s “Sandman” – as it includes both things of wonder and of nightmares. All is present there, just as all is present in everyone. Or as Greg used to say, the World is Made of Everything.
My job is to present to you the setting as beautifully as possible, something which our whole team at Chaosium has done brilliantly. What you do with it is up to you.
In Prax, you must lay aside the civilized niceties of your everyday life. Let the Devil take the sluggard, coward, or any who beg for quarter. Strap on a sword and helm, paint on your protective charms, straddle that creature with your knees and lean into that lance, the hell with the outcome, CHARGE!
Progress continues on the Cults Book. I present to you Golod the Fish God, as part of the Sea Pantheon.
- 2018-08 Jeff on Facebook
- 2018-09 Jeff on Facebook
- 2018-10 Jeff on Facebook
- 2018-12 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-01 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-02 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-03 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-04 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-05 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-06 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-07 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-08 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-09 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-10 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-11 Jeff on Facebook
- 2019-12 Jeff on Facebook
- 2020-01 Jeff on Facebook
- 2020-02 Jeff on Facebook
- 2020-03 Jeff on Facebook
- 2020-04 Jeff on Facebook
- 2020-05 Jeff on Facebook
- 2020-06 Jeff on Facebook
- 2020-07 Jeff on Facebook
- 2020-08 Jeff on Facebook
- 2020-10 Jeff on Facebook
- 2020-11 Jeff on Facebook
- 2020-12 Jeff on Facebook
- 2021-01 Jeff on Facebook
- 2021-02 Jeff on Facebook
- 2021-03 Jeff on Facebook
- 2021-04 Jeff on Facebook
- 2021-05 Jeff on Facebook
- 2021-05 Mob on Facebook
- 2021-06 Jeff on Facebook
- 2021-06 Mob on Facebook
- 2021-07 Jeff on Facebook
- 2021-07 Mob on Facebook
- 2021-08 Jeff on Facebook
- 2021-09 Jeff on Facebook